Jackson Cops Allegedly Buried Another Black Man Without Informing His Family

Marrio Terrell Moore is the most recent victim, following Dexter Wade’s story of being buried without his family’s knowledge after being hit by Jackson, Mississippi, police.

Moore’s family learned of his death thanks to an NBC News investigation that revealed “that Jackson police had failed to notify the public about dozens of homicides this year.”

Marquita, the 40-year-old’s sister, read the piece after her aunt texted her late one October night. Even though it was after 8 p.m., she marched to the Jackson Police Department headquarters downtown and demanded an explanation. However, the officer on the scene stated that no one was available.

Moore’s family members learned of the news over the next few days. According to NBC News, “Marrio had been bludgeoned to death, wrapped in a tarp, and left on the street.” His body had been unclaimed in the Hinds County morgue for months.”

According to the report, “on July 14, inmates at the county penal farm had buried his remains in a pauper’s field.” According to NBC News, Moore was buried on the same day and in the same location as Wade, whose death provoked public anger and prompted a federal inquiry.

According to a report from the Hinds County coroner’s office, “she called Marrio’s brother, but the phone number didn’t work.” A investigator placed a card at Marrio’s mother’s residence, according to a police commander. “However, neither his mother, brother, nor two sisters recall being contacted by anyone in charge of contacting his next of kin.”

Moore’s family was used to his wandering lifestyle and was not initially alarmed because he would regularly go months without speaking to them. As a result, in the months following his death, they found no reason to file a missing person’s report.

However, his family insists that was no excuse for the police. “They just [thought], ‘Oh, well, he ain’t got nobody. And they just threw him away,” Marquita remarked.

It wasn’t a case of mistaken identity. According to Stephanie Horn, deputy medical examiner investigator, cops discovered Moore’s body on Gunda Street and discovered “wet envelopes addressed to ‘Mario Moore’ and a debit card with the name ‘Mario Moore.'”

Moore’s family had resided nearby for twenty years, with his mother, Mary Moor Glenn, approximately “2 miles from where his body was found and where he received child support bills and other mail.”

Mary was required to pay $250 after learning of her son’s death in order “to reclaim the rights” to her son’s remains. “A coroner’s office staffer told her it would cost another $500 to have Marrio exhumed.”

Instead of exhuming the remains, the Moores chose to hold a memorial service without it. They still don’t know the specific site or burial number where Moore is buried.

Nevertheless, Mary intends to keep pushing to learn the truth about her son’s death. The grieving mother lamented, “What are you hiding? Why can’t you just come and just tell somebody that their child is gone?”

“It hurts bad that he’s gone. But nobody thought that I was important enough to let me know about my child.”

According to NBC News, Marrio was buried on the same day and in the same location as Dexter Wade, a 37-year-old Jackson man whose death sparked public outcry and calls for a federal probe.

Leave a Reply