Tayo Ojo, a Nigerian neurosurgeon, has become an internet sensation after Chinonso Egemba, also known as Aproko Doctor, recounted the doctor’s role in his recovery after being diagnosed with Brain Tumor in December 2022.
Aproko Doctor’s revelation prompted others to share their experiences with the doctor, which were mostly positive.
Ojo, a Consultant Neurosurgeon at Lagoon Hospital, in 2013 won the prestigious Young Neurosurgeon award of the World Federation of Neurosurgeon Societies in South Korea.
Ojo won the award due to his outstanding work on Endoscopic Third Ventriculostomy (ETV) in the treatment of hydrocephalus in children.
Dr Tayo Ojo isn't just one of the best in Nigeria. He's also the most humble doctor I've ever met and had the privilege to work with. While in med school, he knew most of us and greeted us on the walkway while he was going to ward rounds. Imagine a consultant waving at you 🤣
— Anne Ejiegbu (@annieflexy) January 16, 2023
10 Facts About Dr Tayo Ojo – Neurosurgeon
- Dr. Tayo Ojo is currently a consultant at Lagos University Teaching Hospital (LUTH).
- He is also a visiting consultant at Marigold Hospital in Lagos since 2020.
- Other than saving Aproko Doctor from the damaging brain tumor, he has also helped Mark Essien’s father who was also suffering from brain aneurysm in 2021.
- Dr. Tayo Ojo is a globally recognized Neurosurgeon who could have decided to leave the country for greener pastures but stayed back to help Nigerians get back their health.
- He has been described as humble, timely and passionate about his profession.
- He is also a lecturer at Lagos University Teaching Hospital where he guides students on Neurosurgeon and other medical coursework.
- Dr. Tayo Ojo hails from Ilesa, Osun State and his full name is Omotayo Abimbola Ojo.
- He was Trained at College of Medicine in University of Lagos.
- In 2013, he won the Young Neurosurgeon Award at the World Neurosurgeon Societies.
- His scholarly research include a novel anatomical guide to sphenoid sinus, contemporary management of Intracranial Subdural Empyema, and treatment of multiple brain aneurysm without Intraoperative Adjuncts.
Here are some reactions from Nigerians, praising the doctor.
It was Dr. Tayo Ojo, a neurosurgeon here in Nigeria that did the surgery. So many people begged me to leave the country and get the surgery done but something kept me back here because I still had trust in us.
We just need more investment in our health sector. pic.twitter.com/ljnmac4xgJ
— Dr. Chinonso Egemba (@aproko_doctor) January 16, 2023
— me (@markessien) April 4, 2021
I am a neurofibromatosis patient, He did a spine surgery for me too at LUTH he also Assist Dr Ugboro in doing a skingrafting surgery of the foot for me, I do much love that man
He is neurosurgery department in LUTH Lagos
— B Emmanuel (@be_mmanuel) January 16, 2023