Despite the fact that studying in the United States is expensive, it is the first and foremost choice of students who want to study abroad. Because it gives high-quality education. However, there are several entrance standards for universities in the United States that may demotivate them. The IELTS exam is one among them. Many candidates wish to avoid English language proficiency. Here are your possibilities if you wish to study in the United States without taking IELTS. First, let us explain the procedure:
Step 1: Application Process to Study in USA without IELTS
- Research and shortlist Universities and courses you want to study in USA you want to apply to.
- You can check University rankings and Eligibility Requirements on the websites of the universities.
- Go through all the shortlisted Universities and choose which is best for you academically and career-wise.
- You need to apply online for the University of colleges in USA you have selected.
Step 2: Skype / Video Interviews
If you are chosen for a personal interview by the university, you will be contacted. This allows them to assess your command of the English language as well as your willingness to be admitted to universities. To gain admission to the United States without IELTS, you must perform well in this interview.
Step 3: Tuition Fees and Other Study in USA Costs:
If you pass your Video Interview, you will receive an acceptance letter from the college to which you applied. It is to confirm that you have been accepted into the study program of your choice. The following step is to pay your program tuition.
Step 4: Apply for Student Visa in USA
The next step is to apply for your student visa. Can I acquire a study visa to the United States if I don’t have IELTS?is one of the questions for overseas students who desire to study in the United States without taking IELTS. The USA visa regulations are becoming more stringent by the day, but if one has adequate grades and academic distinction to show for, studying in the US without IELTS is still viable.
USA without IELTS Study Visa Process
Is IELTS required for a student visa in the United States? If you have an international baccalaureate, have previously studied in English, or are from an English-speaking country, you can apply for a student visa to the United States without taking the IELTS exam. If you are not one of the following, you may be asked a number of questions at the visa interview unless you have been accepted to a highly ranked university. So, if you want to study in the United States without taking the IELTS exam, it is doable, although quite complicated. The following documents are required.
- A Valid Passport
- Recent passport size photograph
- Confirmation page of DS-160
- Form I -20
- Payment of application fees for SEVIS
- Letter of admission/confirmation from the University
- Proof of Monetary Funds
- Proof of Accommodation
- Academic Transcripts
- Healthcare Cover
- Your University will make you inform you about the additional requirements if any.
Eligibility criteria to study without IELTS in USA
There are some criteria you will have to fulfill in order to get admission at a University in USA without IELTS:
- First of all, if you are a native of an English Speaking Country, and English is your First Language, there is no need to take IELTS or TOEFL or any English Language Proficiency Test for that matter.
- If you have attended and completed any kind of academic studies for at least one year in the USA, you can be accepted at a university to study in USA without IELTS.
- There are some Intensive English Learning Programs that some Universities offer. Abbreviated as IELP, they work as substitutes for IELTS and TOEFL tests.
- Just like IELP, there are some Summer Programs in USA that you can attend to make up for the lack of English Language Proficiency Proof and study in America without IELTS.
- Some Universities in USA offer Bridge courses for students who do not meet the minimum English Language Requirements for direct admission in a course.
- Some of the institutes will not ask for any English Language Proficiency proof if you have completed your secondary school education and/or bachelor’s degree in the English Language.
Universities in USA without IELTS:
Here is list of without IELTS universities in USA where you can Study Abroad without IELTS:
|Universities in USA without IELTS||Alternative Requirements to Study in USA without IELTS|
|University of Colorado||If the student is a native of an English Speaking Country
Have completed an academic year in USA as a student.
|Drexel University||University Preparation Summer Program (UPSP), and
Bridge Program for International Students
|University of Arkansas||Intensive English Language Program (IELP)|
|University of Dayton||Intensive English Language Program (IELP)|
|California State University||Must have attended secondary schooling or above for three academic years in:
Virgin Islands & Wales, United Kingdom, Trinidad, South Africa, Scotland, Nigeria, New Zealand, Kenya, Jamaica, Ireland, Guyana, Ghana, Canada (except Québec), Botswana, Bermuda, Belize, Barbados, Bahamas, Australia, Antigua
In some cases with the same criteria: Norway & Singapore
|University of New Orleans||UNO IELP 63+ in LGVR and 70+ in Writing|
|University of Delaware||ELI (English Language for Internationals)|
|University of Iowa||The minimum score in IELTS:
Overall bands: 4.5, no less than 4.0 in each module for conditional admission;
After that, compulsory attend IIEP: Iowa International English Program
What is ESL Course?
ESL, which stands for English as a Second Language, is an English language course for non-native English speakers, similar to IELP. English Grammar, Vocabulary, Pronunciation, and Spelling are covered in these classes. These courses assist students in achieving the English language proficiency required for the course and can be used as an alternative to studying in the United States without IELTS.
Because there are numerous ways to be accepted conditionally in USA colleges without meeting the English Language Proficiency Requirements, it is important to remember that the Eligibility Criteria for colleges in USA vary by course and university. Some may request IELTS, while others may not. IELTS scores are always beneficial to your visa application since they demonstrate that you understand the fundamentals of the English language in terms of reading, writing, listening, and speaking.
However, as previously stated, Obtaining admission and a student visa in the United States without IELTS is a bit more difficult. We recommend that you take IELTS and then travel to America for further study. We are confident that if you work hard, you will pass the exam easily.
How many IELTS bands are required for USA Universities?
Before we go into the institutions to study in the USA without IELTS, below are some of the typical IELTS requirements at universities in the USA. Full-time Bachelor’s and Master’s programs in the United States require 6 to 7.5 IELTS bands overall, and the requirements for IELTS band score in the United States vary by subject and university. The United States has a considerable number of IELTS 6 band universities. Some colleges also offer ESL courses in the United States with reduced IELTS requirements.