Central College is pleased to announce the beneficiaries of this year’s full-tuition Kuyper Scholarships, Pella Corporation Engineering Scholarships, Rolscreen Foundation Scholarships, and Thomas Ross Smith Scholarships — the college’s most prestigious scholarships.
In 1925, Peter H. Kuyper started Rolscreen Company, which is now known as Pella Corporation. Pella Corporation and the shareholder family have been offering financial help to Central students through scholarships since 1952, and this year they are supporting eight different scholarships to boost student learning at Central. Four Pella Rolscreen Scholarships are available, as well as the Joan Kuyper Farver Scholarship, the P.H. Kuyper Scholarship, the H.S. Kuyper Scholarship, and the Pella Corporation Engineering Scholarship.
In Newton, Iowa, Fred Maytag established the Maytag Company. The Fred Maytag Family Foundation established the Thomas Ross Smith Scholarship in 2021 for Iowa students pursuing a career in a STEM-related sector. The award is named after an inspired Maytag family friend who also worked as an electrical engineer for decades at the Maytag Company.
“We selected nine incoming students to receive full-tuition scholarships this year,” says Chevy Freiburger, vice president for enrollment management and dean of admission. “The donors who created these scholarships invested in Central students because they believe in Central’s academic program and community culture.”
Students who engage in Central’s Scholar Day programs during the academic year are chosen as top scholars. The admissions committee carefully examines the students’ transcripts, academic rigor, community and school activity, and Scholar Day interview. This year’s full-tuition awardees had a 3.967 GPA on average. These students will continue to earn the scholarship for four years as long as they maintain their academic proficiency.
“These students are excellent examples of the academic scholars at Central,” says Freiburger. “A Central education opens doors and opportunities for students. We are thrilled to announce the following students with Central’s Class of 2027 who will receive full tuition scholarships.”
- Ernest Alvarez Chedzoy, Kerrville, Texas, recipient of the Pella Rolscreen Scholarship
- Aniya Coleman, Kansas City, Missouri, recipient of the Pella Rolscreen Scholarship
- Gavin Jablonski, Marshalltown, Iowa, recipient of the P.H. Kuyper Scholarship
- Ava Parkins, Monmouth, Illinois, recipient of the Pella Corporation Engineering Scholarship
- Peyton Ritzert, Pella, Iowa, recipient of the Pella Rolscreen Scholarship
- Elyse Shaw, Indianola, Iowa, recipient of the Joan Kuyper Farver Scholarship
- Hayden Sinclair, Ames, Iowa, recipient of the Thomas Ross Smith Scholarship
- Alex Slaymaker, Geneseo, Illinois, recipient of the Pella Rolscreen Scholarship
- William Wadsley, Ames, Iowa, recipient of the H.S. Kuyper Scholarship
In addition to these top scholarships, Central offers many other scholarships to students each year. For the second year in a row, every new incoming student will receive a Journey Scholarship. All scholarships are made possible by the generosity of donors.
“Central remains committed to the affordability of higher education. The transparency of tuition combined with the fact that nearly 100% of our students receive a scholarship makes Central attractive. Our donors’ financial support makes dreams come true and opens doors for students at Central,” Freiburger says.