AKA was a popular rapper in South Africa. In addition to rapping, he is a songwriter, music producer, and a brilliant entrepreneur. The artist writes and releases songs with lyrics that are touching, insightful, sleek, and smooth. In 2010, AKA’s first hit single was Victory Lap.
AKA has worked with Burna Boy, Snoop Dogg, Kendrick Lamar, Rick Ross, and Kanye West on songs. Many people want to know what AKA’s real name is. His given name is Kieran Jarryd Forbes. For months following his fiance’s tragic death last year, the rapper became a viral sensation.
Kiernan Jarryd Forbes (born January 28, 1988) is a well-known African music industry figure.
AKA is a South African rapper, singer, songwriter, and producer who is 35 years old.
Following the release of his critically acclaimed single, Victory Lap, he rose to prominence. The song, which appeared on AKA’s debut album Altar Ego, launched him into the national spotlight and earned him international acclaim.
Over the years, he has released top-charting albums such as Levels, Touch My Blood, and Be Careful What You Wish For.
On the 28th of January, 1988, AKA was born to Mr Tony Forbes and Mrs Lynn Forbes. Kiernan, a millennial, was born in the South African city of Cape Town.
He spent his formative years in his parents’ home before moving in with his grandmother when his parents divorced. His grandmother lived in Mitchell’s Plain, Cape Town, in a bungalow. When he was older, he left his grandmother’s home and moved in with his mother in Johannesburg.
As a teenager, AKA discovered his love of music while listening to rap songs by American artists. This inspired him to begin writing down rap songs whenever he got home from school.
During this period, he created the hip-hop group, Entity with his close friends Vice Versa and Greyhound. The group was together for a couple of years before splitting in 2006.
AKA received his elementary education at Holy Cross Convent in Cape Town while staying with his grandmother. However, he did not finish his education there before moving on to Greenside Primary School.
He completed his high school education at St. John College and graduated with honors. However, he did not immediately enroll in a university after graduating from high school.
He studied Sound Engineering at university after focusing on music for a while.
Cause of Death
On February 10, the rapper flew in from Johannesburg to Durban for his birthday party, which was set to take place at Yugo Nightclub.
AKA advertised the show on his social media page and encouraged fans to attend. AKA had gone to a fish restaurant on Florida Road with some friends and his bodyguard before he was killed.
He shared his location on his Instagram account. He stepped outside the restaurant after the meal and was shot six times.
According to eyewitnesses, it was a drive-by shooting, while others claimed he was approached and shot.
Meanwhile, one of his friends standing with him was killed while his bodyguard was injured in the shooting.
AKA co-founded a second music group, The IV Collective, with two other university students. The group concentrated on writing songs for other artists. Before disbanding, they collaborated with Khuli Chana, ProKid, and JR.
AKA rose to prominence in the South African music industry after releasing singles such as Mistakes, In My Walk, and I Do. However, after recording and releasing his debut album, Alter Ego, in 2011, he finally struck gold. I Want It All, All I Know, and Victory Lap were the album’s top songs, and they topped the country music charts.
As he grew in popularity among music fans, he began receiving invitations to collaborate with other artists and perform at top shows across the country. AKA’s debut album paved the way for a winning streak, as he was nominated for and won several music awards. Alter Ego was also certified gold by RISA due to the thousands of units sold across the country.
AKA released more singles over the next two years while working on his sophomore album. Levels, the project, was released on June 30th, 2014. The album’s notable singles include Kontrol, Jealousy, Congratulate, and Run Jozi. Touch My Blood, his third studio album, was released in June 2018. The album was a commercial success, earning RISA Platinum and then Double Platinum certification.
On November 6, 2020, AKA released Bhovamania, a four-track EP. The album includes four singles: Cross My Heart, Python, Monuments, and Energy.
Awards And Nominations
AKA has been nominated for a number of awards, including:
• Best Collaboration in the 2014 MTV Africa Music Awards (won)
• Best Male Artist in the 21st South African Music Awards (2014) (won)
• Best African Hip Hop in the 2014 Kora Awards (nominated)
• Best International Act (Africa) in the 2014 BET Awards (nominated)
• Best African Act in the 2014 MTV Europe Music Awards (nominated)
• Best International Act (Africa) in the 2014 M.O.B.O. Awards
• Best Collaboration in the 4th South African Hip Hop Awards (2015) (nominated)
• Most Valuable Artist in the 4th South African Hip Hop Awards (2015) (won)
• Most Digital Sales in the 4th South African Hip Hop Awards (2015) (won)
• Song of the Year in the 4th South African Hip Hop Awards (2015) (won)
• Video of the Year in the 4th South African Hip Hop Awards (2015) (won)
• Best Collaboration in the 15th Metro FM Music Awards (2016) (won)
• Best Hit Single in the 15th Metro FM Music Awards (2016) (won)
• Best Remix in the 15th Metro FM Music Awards (2016) (nominated)
• Best Collaboration in the 22nd South African Music Awards (2016) (nominated)
• Best International Act in the BET Awards 2016 (nominated)
• Best International Act in the BET Awards 2017 (nominated)
• Favourite South African Star in the 2019 Kids’ Choice Awards (won)
• Best International Act in the BET Awards 2019 (nominated)
• Pan African Artist of the Year in the Namibia Annual Music Awards 2019 (won)
• Best Male Artist in the 18th South African Music Awards (2012) (won)
• Most Gifted Hip Hop in the 2013 Channel O Africa Music Video Awards (nominated)
• Best Male, Southern Africa in the 2014 African Muzik Magazine Awards (nominated)
• Best Rap Act in the 2014 African Muzik Magazine Awards (nominated)
• Best Hip Hop in the 2014 MTV Africa Music Awards (nominated)
• Most Gifted Hip Hop in the 2014 Channel O Africa Music Video Awards (nominated)
• Best Male Southern Africa in the 2015 African Muzik Magazine Awards (won)
• Best Collaboration in the 2014 African Muzik Magazine Awards (won)
- Touch My Blood
- Be Careful What You Wish For
- Alter Ego
- Victory Lap
- I Want It All
He is a favorite of female music fans in the country due to his attractive facial features and muscular body. The 35-year-old AKA is a single father from Johannesburg.
He previously had a long-term relationship with DJ Zinhle, the mother of his daughter, Kairo Owethu Forbes. The couple divorced due to irreconcilable differences. They remain friends, however, and collaborate to be good parents to their daughters.
AKA proposed to his girlfriend, Nelli Tembe, in the first quarter of 2021, and she agreed to marry him. The couple had been engaged for four months before Nelli Tembe died after falling from a hotel in Cape Town.
AKA was single, with the pain of the demise of his beloved fiancee still in his heart.
AKA is one of the wealthiest artists on the continent, and his net worth is currently estimated to be valued $20 million – $30 million.
5 surprising facts
- Forbes appeared in WWE live events in Johannesburg and Cape Town as well.
- Forbes teamed with the vodka manufacturer Cruz to develop a watermelon-flavoured beverage bearing his initials in April 2020.
- Even so, Forbes consented to be roasted on a Comedy Central special.
- As a child, Forbes moved in with his grandmother after his parents’ divorce.
- Forbes attended St. John’s College, graduated with honours, and then pursued sound engineering studies.