in

WHO Warns Ebola Outbreak Could Spread If Attacks Don’t Stop

Health workers carry out the body of a patient with unconfirmed Ebola virus on August 22, 2018 in Mangina, near Beni, in the North Kivu province. – Sixty-one people have died in the latest outbreak of Ebola in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), the authorities said, adding that four novel drugs had been added to the roster of treatments. The outbreak began on August 1 in Mangina, the epicentre of the outbreak in the North Kivu province, and cases have been reported in neighbouring Ituri province. It is the 10th outbreak to strike the DRC since 1976, when Ebola was first identified and named after a river in the north of the country. (Photo by John WESSELS / AFP) (Photo credit should read JOHN WESSELS/AFP/Getty Images)

The World Health Organization says containing Ebola to two affected provinces in eastern Congo might be impossible if violent attacks on health teams continue.

“The ongoing violent attacks sow fear, perpetuate mistrust, and further compound the multitude of challenges already faced by frontline health care workers,” the WHO said. “Without a commitment from all groups to cease these attacks, it is unlikely that this (Ebola) outbreak can remain successfully contained in North Kivu and Ituri provinces.”

This most recent Ebola outbreak started nine months ago. In that time, violence in the region has increased, placing organizations who are trying to identify and treat Ebola victims at great risk. Earlier this week, Mai-Mai militia fighters attacked the town of Butembo and the WHO says Ebola response activities have been halted periodically throughout 2019 by fighting in Butembo and surrounding areas.

In addition to the risks posed by militias, widespread community mistrust in eastern Congo also hamper WHO efforts to treat Ebola victims. The WHO is trying to reduce the level of mistrust by having the majority of vaccine teams comprised of local health workers. The WHO hopes to accomplish that by the end of May.

The outbreak, which has killed 1,069 people, marks the first time that Ebola has struck inside a conflict zone. The affected area is also close to Congo’s borders with Uganda and Rwanda, and health officials in both countries have been preparing in case someone sick with Ebola should bring the disease across international borders.

WHO and others have previously said that the risk of that happening was low. The difficulties in accessing some of the hardest hit areas in Congo, though, means that health workers are struggling to isolate the sick, and track down and isolate their caregivers and family members.

About half of those dying remained in their homes instead of seeking treatment at Ebola health centers, giving the virus an opportunity to spread to those in physical contact with victims.

Loading...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

South African Midfielder, Teko Modise To Retire At End Of The Season

Japan Tests World’s Fastest Bullet Train