Nairobi’s police chief has issued a warning to opposition supporters not to take part in their planned protest today in the Kenyan capital. Although the police brutally attacked them during their last protest last month, they still plan to step out for another protest today.
They have been protesting every Monday for several weeks about the electoral commission, which they claim is biased.
Speaking to BBC Africa yesterday, Japheth Koome said police were prepared to use lethal force if necessary. He said, “No demonstration. That’s the message. If you have nothing else to do, sleep. It will not be allowed. That’s why I’m questioning those who have intentions of demonstrating tomorrow. Don’t come, then you start talking about police brutality. Life is dear! Please, if you value your life, don’t attempt it that way. You will be dealt with firmly.”
Opposition politician James Orengo however said the rally would go ahead as there was no legal justification for banning it.