Coca-Cola isn’t just a tasty beverage — its mild acidity makes it useful for commode-cleaning purposes. Are you looking for a way to deal with toilet limescale without shelling out cash for expensive bowl cleaners? Coke can often cost less than 50 cents per liter. Are you looking for non-toxic cleaning solutions?
Coke is perfectly safe for humans. Try these easy tricks today to start cleaning with Coke.
1Measure out a cup or two of Coke. Open a bottle or can of Coke. You won’t need much to clean your toilet — a standard-sized soda can contains 12 fluid ounces (1.5 cups), which should be plenty. If you have a bigger container of Coke, measure about this much and pour it into a glass.Pour the Coke into the bowl. Pour the Coke around the rim of the bowl. Let it flow over the stains below. Be sure to give all the stains a good even coating of Coke — it will appear to wash into the bottom of the bowl, but a thin coat will remain on the stain.Loading...
Let the Coke sit. Patience is key. The longer you let the Coke sit, the more of a chance you give the acids in the Coke to break down the stains. Try to let the Coke sit for at least an hour without disturbing it.
- For stains high in the bowl that are hard to reach, try soaking an old rag in Coke and applying it by hand. You can also use a spray bottle filled with Coke if you prefer not to get your hands dirty.
Flush. While you let the Coke sit, the acids will slowly loosen the built-up stains in the bowl. Now, flush the toilet once. The loosened stains should be (at least partially) rinsed away with the toilet water.Repeat as needed. At this point, you can see how well the Coke was able to remove the stains. While Coke usually works well for the sorts of rings and built-up mineral stains that are common problems in toilets, it may not completely eliminate every stain. If desired, simply re-apply a second layer of Coke and repeat the process.
- For extra cleaning power, pour the Coke in before you go to bed and let it sit in the toilet overnight
- If your stains just won’t seem to go away with a second application of Coke, check out the section below, which has suggestions for especially hard-to-remove toilet stains
For Persistent Stains
- For best results, scrub before and after using the Coke. In other words:
- Open the bowl and scrub the stains with the brush.
- Apply the Coke.
- Let the Coke sit.
- Scrub once again with the brush and flush to rinse the stains away.