A few days after Donald Trump told his secretary of state that it was useless to discuss with Pyongyang, Rex Tillerson assured that the president did not seek war with North Korea and privileged diplomacy.
In the State of the Union broadcast on CNN, US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson said on October 15 that Donald Trump had ordered him to continue contacts with Pyongyang in order to relieve tension. “This diplomatic effort will continue until the first bomb falls,” Rex Tillerson quoted Reuters as saying.
“[Donald Trump] is not looking for war [with North Korea],” said the Secretary of State.
Earlier in October, Donald Trump, on Twitter had felt that his secretary of state was “wasting his time” to privilege diplomacy with North Korea.
“I told Rex Tillerson, our wonderful secretary of state, that he was wasting his time trying to negotiate with Little Rocket Man ,” tweeted the US leader, referring to his North Korean counterpart.
Donald Trump and Kim Jong-un both have been verbal escalators in recent months. Speaking before the UN General Assembly, the US president promised that he would not hesitate to “totally destroy” North Korea if the United States were attacked. Kim Jong-un on his side had promised to “subdue by fire” the United States.