in

UN World Food Programme Aids Congo $1 Million In Funding After Heavy Floods

KINSHASA, DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF CONGO – JANUARY 7: A general view of the flooded area after landslide that triggered by a flood following heavy rains at Ngaliema district of Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of Congo on January 7, 2018. At least 44 people were killed on heavy flooding hit capital of the Democratic Republic of the Congo. (Photo by Pascal Mulegwa/Anadolu Agency/Getty Images)

 

Months of heavy rains in northern Congo has left over 83,000 people battling the effects of flooding, the World Food Programme (WFP) reported.

Loading...

 

The WFP announced it was making US$1 million available in emergency funding for those worst affected as it responds to the worst flooding seen in the area in two decades.

 

Last week, the Congolese government declared a humanitarian emergency and requested international assistance.

 

WFP representative in Congo, Jean-Martin Bauer said the UN organisation was responding by making funding available “to respond to the most urgent needs stemming from these floods.” He added that some 35,000 people would benefit.

 

WFP’s Josias Gautier Massamouna said one of the consequences of the flooding had been to push up food prices and reduce supplies, notably of cassava.

 

According to a February government estimate, in 2019 flooding hit 200,000 people across the country.

Loading...

Written by PH

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

CAPTCHA


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Congolese Women Take Up Sports Betting To Cope With Effects Of Coronavirus Pandemic

UN Appoints Alice Wairimu Nderitu Of Kenya As Special Adviser On Prevention Of Genocide