“Continued efforts are required to stop the spread of COVID-19 in the country,” Mekki said during a speech on the private radio station Radio Med.
On Saturday night, the health ministry announced that the total cases of COVID-19 had reached 866.
“Following a total of 692 lab tests, 30 cases tested positive, of which two were new cases and 28 were previously confirmed cases who were still infected with this virus,” said the ministry in a statement.
Since March 22 when the first positive imported case was detected, Tunisia has carried out 15,332 lab tests for coronavirus.
As part of the precautions to stop the spread of the virus, Tunisian National Security Council decided on Friday to extend the nationwide lockdown without specifying the extension period.
The coronavirus lockdown was imposed on March 20 for two weeks and then extended for two more until April 20.