The trial of former Sudanese president Omar al-Bashir over the 1989 coup was delayed on Monday following a request by his defence team; AFP reported citing a prosecution lawyer.
Bashir rose to power in Sudan in 1989 through a military coup which saw Sadiq al-Mahdi’s administration deposed. Bashir faces the death sentence if convicted.
A short hearing was conducted last month when the trial of Bashir and some of his former allies opened. However, Moaz Hadra told AFP that three people, among them Bashir, had requested for a delay. The other two were leading figures of the former National Congress Party.
“Lawyers for three defendants petitioned the Court of Appeal to release three defendants on bail, after the court refused to grant their request at the trial’s first hearing on July 21,” Hadra said.
Omar al-Bashir was ousted from power in April 2019 by the military following months of civilian protests against his 30-year rule. He has been jailed in Khartoum since his removal from office and his legal team has tried to have him placed under some form of house arrest rather than being detained in prison.
In December, a court handed down a two-year sentence on corruption charges. He also faces trials and investigations over the killing of protesters.