The new ranking of the best paid footballers for the 2017-2018 edition was made public, Monday, April 23, by the weekly France Football. According to the French media, it is the Argentine international Lionel Messi who dominates this ranking which integrates gross wages, bonuses and advertising revenues accumulated.
With 126 million euros, Lionel Messi is currently the best-paid footballer in front of his main rival Cristiano Ronaldo who for its part earns only 94 million euros. It must be said that between the two stars of football the gap is considerable.
However, last season, it was Cristiano Ronaldo who took the upper hand with 87.5 million euros in revenue, ahead of the FC Barcelona striker who only took 76.5 million euros.
These two big stars of football world who share the Golden Balls since 2008 are followed in this ranking by the Brazilian international Neymar. The Parisian occupies the third place in this ranking with 81.5 million euros. Real Madrid striker Gareth Bale is in fourth place with € 44 million and Barcelona defender Gerard Piqué closes the top five footballers with € 29 million.
• Top 5 highest paid players (gross salaries, bonuses and advertising revenues accumulated over the 2017-2018 season):
1. Lionel Messi (ARG / FC Barcelona): 126 million euros
2. Cristiano Ronaldo (POR / Real Madrid): 94 million euros
3. Neymar (BRA / Paris SG): € 81.5 million
4. Gareth Bale (WAL / Real Madrid): 44 million euros
5. Gérard Piqué (ESP / FC Barcelona): 29 million euros
On the coaching side, Portugal’s Jose Mourinho remains the highest-paid coach, ahead of China coach Marcello Lippi, Diego Simeone of Atlético Madrid, and Zinedine Zidane of the Champions League Real Madrid) and Pep Guardiola (Manchester City).