in ,

Today in History 2011: Today Marks The 6th Anniversary Of The Death Of Libyan Leader Col Muammar Gaddafi


Today marks the sixth anniversary of the death of Libyan leader Col Muammar Gaddafi. He was captured and killed during the Battle of Sirte on the 20th, October 2011.

Recall that the Libyan leader was captured alive but  after several beaten by his abductors, he gave up the ghost.

A quick look into how the ever remembered Libyan leader was captured and killed below:

Muammar Gaddafi, the deposed leader of Libya, was captured and killed on 20 October 2011 during the Battle of Sirte. Gaddafi was found hiding in a culvert west of Sirte and captured by National Transitional Councilforces. He was killed shortly afterwards. The NTC initially claimed he died from injuries sustained in a firefight when loyalist forces attempted to free him, although videos of his last moments show rebel fighters beating him and one of them sodomizing him with a bayonet before he was shot several times as he shouted for his life.

After the fall of Tripoli to forces of the opposition National Transitional Council (NTC) in August 2011, Gaddafi and his family escaped the Libyan capital. He was widely rumoured to have taken refuge in the south of the country. In fact, though, Gaddafi had fled in a small convoy to Sirte on the day Tripoli fell. His son Mutassim Gaddafi followed in a second convoy.

On 19 October 2011, Libya’s unelected prime minister Mahmoud Jibril said that the former leader was believed to be in the southern desert, reestablishing his government among pro-Gaddafi tribes in the region. By that point the NTC had just taken control of the pro-Gaddafi town of Bani Walid and were close to taking control of Gaddafi’s home town, the tribal heartland of Sirte east of Tripoli. According to most accounts, Gaddafi had been with heavily armed regime loyalists in several buildings in Sirte for several months as NTC forces took the city. Mansour Dhao, a member of Gaddafi’s inner circle and leader of the regime’s People’s Guard, said that Gaddafi was “very delusional” and complained about the lack of electricity and water. Attempts to persuade him to flee the country and give up power were ignored.[4] As the last loyalist district of Sirte fell, Gaddafi and other members of the government attempted to flee.

At around 01:30 local time (03:30 UTC) on 20 October 2011, Gaddafi, his army chief Abu-Bakr Yunis Jabr, his security chief Mansour Dhao, and a group of loyalists attempted to escape the violence in a convoy of 75 vehicles. A Royal Air Forcereconnaissance aircraft spotted the convoy moving at high speed, after NATO forces intercepted a satellite phone call made by Gaddafi.

NATO aircraft then fired on 21 of the vehicles, destroying one. A U.S. Predator drone operated from a base near Las Vegas[9]fired the first missiles at the convoy, hitting its target about 3 kilometres (2 mi) west of Sirte. Moments later, French Air ForceRafale fighter jets continued the bombing.The NATO bombing immobilized much of the convoy and killed dozens of loyalist fighters. Following the first strike, some 11 vehicles broke away from the main group and continued moving south. A second NATO airstrike damaged or destroyed 20 of these vehicles.[contradictory] According to the Financial Times, rebel units on the ground also struck the convoy.

According to their statement, NATO was not aware at the time of the strike that Gaddafi was in the convoy. NATO stated that in accordance with Security Council Resolution 1973, it does not target individuals but only military assets that pose a threat. NATO later learned, “from open sources and Allied intelligence,” that Gaddafi was in the convoy and that the strike likely contributed to his capture.

After the airstrike, which destroyed the vehicle in front of Muammar Gaddafi’s car, he and his son Mutassim, and former defence minister Abu-Bakr Yunis Jabr, took shelter in a nearby house, which was then shelled by NTC forces.

Mutassim then took 20 fighters and went to look for undamaged cars, having persuaded his father to come too. “The group belly-crawled to a sand berm,” a UN report, released in March 2012 said, and then through two drainage pipes and set up a defensive position.

One of Gaddafi’s guards threw a grenade at advancing rebels on the road above, but it hit a concrete wall above the pipes and fell in front of Gaddafi. The guard tried to pick it up, but it exploded, killing both the guard and Yunis Jabr.


ALSO READ:  Here Are The Three African Empires That Shocked The Entire World

US President Trump Has This To Say Concerning The Assault Charge Levied Against Him


Kenya’s President Sues Opposition Leader For Contempt Of Court