Phenomenal women are the backbone of great nations. A woman like Aisha Buhari engraved her name in the story. In addition to her beauty, she is an educated, confident woman and a great role model for young girls.
In this article, find out who Aisha Buhari is, the woman who honors her country.
First lady of Nigeria
The informal title of First Lady has always been granted to the wife of a Nigerian president. Following the election of her husband, Muhammadu Buhari, in May 2015, Aisha Buhari became the fifteenth First Lady of Nigeria. Ms. Buhari is a lawyer for equal rights, respect and full support for education for women and girls.
She keeps emphasizing what can be accomplished with determination and education. She also disapproved of child marriage before the age of seventeen and homosexuality. Through her principles, she has received tremendous support from powerful and prosperous women, private and public sectors, at home and abroad, and housewives in her husband’s presidential campaign.
His promises to the women during the presidential campaign were:
- Mr. Buhari’s administration will give priority to women’s health and education.
- Equal opportunities will be given to women so that they can contribute to the development of their society.
Born on February 17, 1971, Ms. Buhari is a descendant of a royal family. She is from Adamawa State in northeastern Nigeria. His grandfather, Alhaji Muhammadu Ribadu, was Nigeria’s prime minister of defense. She is the third in a family of nine children. His father was a civil engineer and his mother is a descendant of the Ankali family.
Coming from a family of exceptional scientists, Ms. Aisha Buhari has also to his credit many achievements. Prior to her marriage, she attended elementary and high school. She was also admitted to university to study mass communication, but chose to become a housewife. Fortunately, she received support from her husband and the latter allowed him to continue his studies.
She obtained the following diplomas:
- Bachelor of Arts in Public Administration from Ahmadu Bello University (ABU).
- A master’s degree in International Affairs and Strategic Studies from the Nigerian Defense Academy (NDA), Kaduna.
- A degree in beauty therapy. His specialty is mesotherapy, micro dermabrasion and permanent makeup. She has qualifications from the Carlton Beauty Institute in Windsor UK.
- A postgraduate degree in cosmetology and beauty from France Beauté Institut.
She has written a book called “Essentials of a Beauty Therapy: A Complete Guide for Beauty Specialists”
Career and commitments
Before continuing her tertiary studies, Aisha Buhari was a businesswoman. She became a cosmetologist and a certified esthetician. She opened the Hanzy Spa and was the director of the Hanzy beauty institute. She was :
- A consultant in cosmetology for the National Council of Technical Education (NBTE).
- Contributor and participant in the development of the program for small and medium enterprises of NBTE.
- Active member of the International Council of Health and Beauty and Vocational Training and Charitable Trust in the United Kingdom.
Following the election of her husband as president of Nigeria, she closed her beauty salon to support her husband.
She has :
- Met the mothers of Chibok’s daughters to express her feelings of sympathy on July 12, 2015.
- Advised Goodluck Ebele Jonathan to resign as Nigeria’s president in July 2014 after an alleged assassination attempt against her husband.
- Participated in the World Women’s Conference held in Buenos Aires, Argentina. At the conference, she spoke of the need for Nigerian laws that will prevent early and forced marriage. She also spoke about child sexual abuse issues in Nigeria and trafficking in human beings.
- Visited the six-month-old rape victim, Khadijah Bashir, in Kano State. During her visit, she expressed her dismay and condemned the despicable act.
- Supported her husband while he was hospitalized in London.
Devoted and loving mother
In addition to her political commitment to her husband, she is a loving and dedicated mother. She has five children: Aisha, Amina, Halima, Yusuf and Zarah and several small children.
Mrs. Aisha Muhammadu Buhari is a wonderful woman who cares about the well being of her country. It usually evokes problems that require attention and immediate action. She firmly believes that women are more than trophies and should be involved in the development of their nation. Ms. Buhari is one of the most powerful and influential women in the world.