Pizza is an Italian originated bread that began when the Romans started making bread with toppings on it.
The word pizza was documented in 997 AD in Gaeta and successively in different parts of Central and Southern Italy.
Pizza spread out to the world after World War II when Italian immigrants moved to the rest of the world.
Here is a recipe that will guide you on how to prepare home-made pizza.
2 slices: 537 calories, 19g fat (7g saturated fat), 40mg cholesterol, 922mg sodium, 64g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 4g fiber), 25g protein.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1-1/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 medium green pepper, diced
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 6 fluid ounces water
- 1/8 ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon dried marjoram
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon chilli powder
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- In large bowl, dissolve yeast and sugar in water; let stand until it gets creamy for 10 minutes.
- Add oil, salt and shortening. Stir in flour, a cup at a time, to form soft dough. Turn onto floured board; knead until smooth and elastic, about 5-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover with damp cloth. Let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 45 minutes.
- Heat oil in a different pan to medium heat. Saute the onions to tenderness. Stir in tomato paste and water. Season with sugar, salt, black pepper, garlic powder, basil, oregano, marjoram, cumin, chili powder and red pepper flakes. Simmer 15 to 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, brown beef and onion; drain. Punch down dough; divide in half. Press each into a greased 12 inches pizza pan. Combine the tomato sauce, oregano and basil; spread over each crust. Top with beef mixture, green pepper and cheese. Bake at 400° for 25-30 minutes or until crust is lightly browned.
2 pizzas (6 servings).