The Syrian presidency announced on April 23 that its Instagram account was blocked, a week after the closing, by the same social network, of several accounts of commanders of the Iranian Revolutionary Guards.
The Syrian presidency said on April 23 in a statement posted on other social networks that his Instagram account was blocked “without warning or logical justification.” YouTube had previously blocked the presidency chain several times, the statement said.
According to the presidency, this “deliberate” decision to close the official channels of the Syrian government and its accounts on social networks is part of the “growing siege” imposed on Syria since the beginning of the conflict in 2011.
The presidency warned that other similar measures could follow that of Instagram as part of a “soft war”, literally “soft war”, against the country, now that “the military conflict is abating.”
AFP was unable to access the previous account on 23 April. A new one has been created, according to the release.
Instagram did not explain the reason for this decision.
Accounts of the Iranian Revolutionary Guards also blocked
Last week, a social media spokesman told AFP that compliance with US sanctions legislation had pushed the photo-sharing platform to block several accounts of the Iranian Revolutionary Guards. “We are working with government authorities adequately to ensure that we comply with our legal obligations, including those related to the recent designation [by Washington of the Iranian Guardians as] a foreign terrorist organization,” the spokesman added. details.
The accounts of the Syrian presidency on social networks have been particularly active since the beginning of the conflict and have become a privileged platform for the publication of statements and statements attributed to Syrian President Bashar al-Assad and his wife Asma.