The Duke and Duchess agreed to abandon their ‘Sussex Royal’ brand when they stepped down from senior royal duties at the end of last month. Disabling comments means no additional remarks can be posted by other Instagram users, whilst comments already posted are no longer visible.
However the couple do not intend to delete the account at this stage, and will instead leave both it and the Sussex Royal website as an archive.
In a statement released on Tuesday a spokesman for Meghan and Harry explained the decision.
He said: “The Duke and Duchess of Sussex will no longer use the name Sussex Royal for their charitable organization, Instagram or website.
“Following today’s post, The Duke and Duchess of Sussex will no longer post on Instagram under the @sussexroyal handle and will also no longer update SussexRoyal.com website.
The ‘Sussexroyal’ Instagram account will become inactive
Meghan and Harry pictured at the Commonwealth service in March
“Both the Instagram account and website will remain in existence online for the foreseeable future, although they will be inactive.”
Meghan and Harry shocked the world in January when they announced they were standing down as senior members of the royal family.
Instead the couple said they would split their time between the UK and North America, whilst seeking to become financially independent.
The Duke and Duchess recently moved to Los Angeles from Canada, where they had been living since their announcement.
Senior royals at the commonwealth day service in March
Meghan and Harry posted one final update to their Instagram, a graphic including the words “Thank you to this community for the support, the inspiration and the shared commitment to good in the world”.
They added the caption: “As we can all feel, the world at this moment seems extraordinarily fragile.
“Yet we are confident that every human being has the potential and opportunity to make a difference—as seen now across the globe, in our families, our communities and those on the front line—together we can lift each other up to realise the fullness of that promise.
“What’s most important right now is the health and wellbeing of everyone across the globe and finding solutions for the many issues that have presented themselves as a result of this pandemic.
Meghan and Harry pictured with their son Archie Mountbatten-Windsor
“As we all find the part we are to play in this global shift and changing of habits, we are focusing this new chapter to understand how we can best contribute.
“Thank you to this community – for the support, the inspiration and the shared commitment to the good in the world.
“We look forward to reconnecting with you soon. You’ve been great!”
Harry and Meghan have resisted pressure to return to the UK as the coronavirus crisis continues.
Meghan Markle’s family tree
On Friday Prince Charles opened the new NHS Nightingale hospital in London by video link.
The facility was constructed in the Excel arena in just nine days.
Prince Charles claimed the new hospital was “an example, if ever one was needed, of how the impossible could be made possible and how we can achieve the unthinkable through human will and ingenuity”.
Meghan and Harry announced they were stepping down from senior royal duties in January
He continued: “I am therefore so relieved that everyone can now have the reassurance that they will receive all the necessary technical care they may need and every chance to return to a normal life.
“This hospital, therefore, offers us an intensely practical message of hope for those who will need it most at this time of national suffering.”
Buckingham Palace has announced the Queen will address the nation on Sunday about the coronavirus crisis.