- 50ml vegetable oil
- 2 medium-sized onions, chopped
- 1 kg chicken, skinned and cut into portions
- 15 ml turmeric
- 15 ml ground cumin
- 10 ml ground coriander
- 10 ml fennel
- 15 ml red masala (available at spice shops)
- 30 ml garlic and ginger paste
- 1 medium tomato, chopped finely
- 4 potatoes, peeled and cut into quarters
- 6 to 7 fresh curry leaves (available at spice shops)
- 6 to 7 sprigs of fresh coriander
Heat a little oil in a pot, add onions and sauté until browned. Add chicken and stir well, and then add the spices, garlic and ginger paste, a pinch of salt and the chopped tomato. Pour in 250 ml of water. Cook, then stir for five minutes, and then cover the pot with a lid. Add the potatoes, another 250 ml of water, then cover and simmer on a low heat until the potatoes are soft. Just before serving add the curry leaves and coriander and stir gently. Serve with rice or homemade rotis.
Zainie’s top tip: Add a touch of lemon juice to soften the husks of the spices when simmering.