in

Petra Diamonds Reaches Settlement On Rights Abuse Lawsuit At Tanzania Mine

 

Petra Diamonds has reached a settlement with 71 people at its Williamson mine in Tanzania who accused the firm of being responsible for widespread human rights violations including beatings and detentions.

Loading...

 

Under terms of the settlement, Petra will pay $6 million (4.3 million British pounds) in compensation.

 

A London-based law firm sued Petra on behalf of claimants who say they suffered serious human rights abuses by security personnel employed or contracted by the Williamson Diamond Mine. Ten of the claims were brought by the families of those alleged to have been killed at the mine.

 

Petra stated that following its investigations, ‘past incidents took place that regrettably resulted in the loss of life, injury and the mistreatment of illegal diggers.’

 

However, while the company confirmed Thursday’s settlement, the company stated the agreement was “on a no admission of liability basis.”

 

The claims were issued in the High Court in London against Petra Diamonds Limited, and its majority-owned Tanzanian subsidiary, Williamson Diamonds Limited in February and July 2020.

 

Petra owns 75% of the mine. The remaining 25% is owned by the Tanzania government.

Loading...

Written by PH

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

CAPTCHA


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Egypt Receives 1.7M AstraZeneca COVID-19 Vaccine Doses

US Lifts Indoor Mask Mandate For Vaccinated People