in ,

No Schoolgirls Screened for Genital Cutting – Kenyan Authorities

The Kenyan Anti-Female Genital Mutilation Board says no schoolgirls have been screened for evidence of female genital mutilation and paraded despite an order by Narok County Commissioner George Natembeya. Board chairperson Agnes Pareiyo says investigations show that all the girls are in school.


Students from various universities enact a play during the International Day of Zero Tolerance on Female Genital Mutilation, at Kerio Valley Boys Secondary School in Tot, Elgeyo-Marakwet County, on February 6, 2016.

Speaking to journalists on Tuesday in Nairobi, Ms Pareiyo said that investigations by the board revealed that all girls are in school and none has been screened for signs of the practice, as had been stated by Narok County Commission George Natembeya last week.

The directive had caused an uproar on the legality and ethical implications of conducting invasive inspections of girls’ genitalia in an effort to prosecute parents who agreed to the process.

“Following the county commissioners remarks, the board went round to Narok to investigate if screening was actually taking place. We found that it was only being discussed on mainstream and social media, in Narok, life goes on as usual.,” Ms Pareiyo said.

She said that the board has been working on a campaign to sensitise the FGM hotspots. She says so far the board has been to Narok, Elgeyo Marakwet, Bungoma, Marsabit, and Laikipia counties.

Loading...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

South African Rapper, Pitch Black Afro Arrested For Wife’s Murder

Opposition’s Leader, Felix Tshisekedi Wins DR Congo Presidency