The world mourns the passing of a larger than life character, Cuban revolutionary Commandante Fidel Castro who passed away at the age of 90. As tributes continue to pour in, and as the world mourns the loss of a political titan, we remember Castro through 10 of his most profound quotes.
Cuban revolutionary Fidel Castro passed away last week Friday, at the age of 90. We commemorate the legacies of Castro, and share with you our selection of Castro’s most profound quotes, which capture what he stood and fought for.
1. “I began the revolution with 82 men. If I had to do it again, I would do it with 10 or 15 and absolute faith. It does not matter how small you are if you have faith and a plan of action”.
2. “They talk about the failure of socialism but where is the success of capitalism in Africa, Asia and Latin America?”
3. “I find capitalism repugnant. It is filthy, it is gross, it is alienating… because it causes war, hypocrisy and competition”.
4. “A revolution is not a bed of roses. A revolution is a struggle between the future and the past”.
5. “Condemn me. It is of no importance. History will absolve me”.
“One of the greatest benefits of the revolution is that even our prostitutes are college graduates”.
6. “Someday, the capitalist system will disappear in the United States, because no social class system has been eternal. One day, class societies will disappear”.
7. “Capitalism has neither the capacity, nor the morality, nor the ethics to solve the problems of poverty”.
8. “Capitalism is using its money; we socialists throw it away”.
9. “I am nearing 90. I will soon pass away like everyone else. The time will come for all of us, but the ideas of Cuban communists are an evidence that, in case if we work with pathos and dignity, we can produce material and cultural values people need,” a 2016 speech at a congress of the Cuban Communist Party.
10. “I am a Marxist Leninist and I will be one until the last day of my life”.