How time flies, it has been 10 years since MTV launched her first broadcast of 2Face Idibia’s “African Queen” on DSTV Channel 88, a redefining moment in the continent’s music history.
MTV has gone on to be a big brand, promoting African culture through music.
We take a look at the 10 innovations MTV has brought to the continent’s music, its achievements and some controversies.
READ ALSO: Nigerians Dominate 2015 MAMA Awards: SEE Who Triumphed Last Night
– Top Nigerian Songs Ever On MTV Base: MTV Base released a list of best Nigerian songs of all time to backlash from Nigerians, especially music personalities in the country. MTV later released a statement to correct the impression that it was MTV’s all time top. This was a gaff.
– Exposing Africa To The World: MTV has in the last couple of years created a platform for Africa to compete with the rest of the world. The platform has helped African acts to shoot high quality videos that to international standards. These are now marketed around the world.
– Burnaboy-MTV Tango: Nigerian dancehall star, Burnaboy challenged the organizers of MAMA awards for not nominating him in this year’s awards category and MTV base gave a rude reply to the star singer.
READ ALSO: PHOTOS: Celebrities At MAMA Awards Red Carpet
– MTV MAMA Awards: The MAMA awards is one of the high profile musical awards in Africa, with top artiste across the continent walking home with the precious MAMA plaque. Foreign super stars have also graced the MAMAs exalted stage to dish out lovely performances.
– VJ Search: MTV’s approach of getting VJ is one of a kind with a life changing opportunity given to her winners. With Sizwe Dhlomo, Fikile Moeti, Cynthia Okpala, Nomuzi Mabena, and Ehizojia ‘Ehiz’ Okoeguale have had their lives transformed after they won previous MTV Base VJ searches in 2005, 2006, 2007 2012 and 2013, respectively. Ehiz, who beat the other two finalists Ada Ogunkeye and Kemi Owatemi and drove home a brand new car and cash prize of N10m,
– Competitiveness: The birth of MTV base has encouraged competitiveness as many musical channels have sprang up to match up with the continent’s best musical television station.