in

Morocco Shuts Down Major Cities After Spike In Coronavirus Cases

A man, wearing a protective mask due to the COVID-19 pandemic, crosses a street while drivers wait at a traffic light in the Moroccan capital Rabat on June 10, 2020, as the government declared the extension of coronavirus lockdown until July 10. FADEL SENNA / AFP

Morocco will stop people entering and leaving some of its biggest cities from Monday to contain a surge in COVID-19 cases, the interior and health Ministries have said.

Loading...

The cities to be locked down include the economic powerhouse of Casablanca as well as Tangier, Marrakech, Fez and Meknes.

The country eased a nationwide lockdown a month ago, though international flights are still suspended except special flights by national airlines carrying Moroccans or foreign residents.

On Sunday, the health ministry said 633 new COVID-19 cases were recorded, one of the biggest daily rises so far, bringing the total number of confirmed infections to 20,278, with 313 deaths and 16,438 recoveries.

Morocco has carried out 1.1 million tests and has made mask-wearing mandatory. It has extended an emergency decree, until August 10, giving authorities leeway in restoring restrictive measures on a region-by-region basis depending on developments in the epidemic.

The government expects Morocco to record a budget deficit of 7.5 percent of gross domestic product this year, and the economy to shrink by five percent.

Loading...

Written by PH

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

CAPTCHA


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Pregnant Women At Risk Of Death In Kenya’s COVID-19 Curfew

Ghanaian President Announces Further Easing Of COVID-19 Restrictions