Moroccan Rescuers Pull Out Dead Body Of 5-Year-Old After Days Trapped In Well

Moroccan emergency services teams work on the rescue of five-year-old boy Rayan from a well shaft he fell into on February 1, in the remote village of Ighrane in the rural northern province of Chefchaouen on February 5, 2022. (Fadel Senn/AFP)


Moroccan emergency crews found a five-year-old boy dead at the bottom of a well late Saturday in a tragic end to a painstaking five-day rescue operation that gripped the nation and beyond.

“Following the tragic accident which cost the life of the child Rayan Oram, His Majesty King Mohammed VI called the parents of the boy who died after falling down the well,” a statement from the royal court said.

Through the day-long operation to extricate little Rayan from the bottom of the 32-meter (100 foot) well shaft, authorities had cautioned that they did not know whether the child was dead or alive.


But news of his death sent a chill through the cold mountain air of his home village of Ighrane in the Rif mountains of northern Morocco where thousands of volunteers and well-wishers had gathered this week in a show of solidarity with his family.

It was well after dark when rescue teams finally broke through to the well shaft where the boy was trapped, from the deep cut in the mountainside they had excavated in recent days.

AFP correspondents saw the boy’s parents walk down the slope into the cut, visibly crushed, before returning and boarding an ambulance without saying a word.

After a period of confusion, the crowd of onlookers began dispersing in sombre silence.

There was no official word on the boy’s condition until Moroccan media carried the palace statement.

The boy’s ordeal since he fell down the well on Tuesday afternoon had gripped residents of the North African kingdom and beyond, also sparking sympathy in neighbouring Algeria, a regional rival.

By mid-afternoon Saturday, rescue crews, using bulldozers and front-end loaders, had excavated the surrounding red earth down to the level where the boy was trapped, and drill teams began work on excavating a horizontal tunnel to reach him from the side.

But progress slowed to a snail’s pace as the drill teams worked by hand to avoid any vibrations that might bring the brittle soil down on the stricken child, local authorities said.

The more time passed, the more fears mounted over Rayan’s condition.

Rescuers did not give up hope of recovering the child alive, although officials acknowledged they had no firm evidence of his condition.

Onlookers applauded to encourage the rescuers, sang religious songs or prayed.

Thousands of people had gathered and even camped in solidarity around the site in recent days, where AFP reporters have said the tension has been palpable.

Police reinforcements were deployed and metal barricades erected in an effort to prevent a swarm of onlookers from impeding rescuers.

The boy’s ordeal echoed a tragedy in Spain in early 2019 when a two-year-old child died after falling into an abandoned well 25 centimeters wide and more than 70 meters deep.

Julen Rosello’s body was recovered after a search and rescue operation that lasted 13 days.


Written by PH

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


The Amani Festival Returns To Goma, DR Congo

Vogue Editor, Edward Enninful Is Set To Marry His Long-Term Partner, Alec Maxwell