In that vein, Forbes releases the list of the top earning dead celebrities each year. This year’s list sees the debut of a new entrant, the actor Paul Walker, who died in a car crash towards the end of filming of the seventh installment in the ‘Fast and Furious’ franchise- Furious 7.
Walker landed on 9th place on the list, earning $10.5m over the past year.
The late King of Pop topped the list for the third year running, raking in an estimated $115m over the assessed period. According to Forbes, Jackson has earned over $1bn, before taxes, since his death in 2009.
Below are the top 13 celebrities on the Forbes list:
- Michael Jackson: $115m (£75m)
- Elvis Presley: $55m (£35.8m)
- Charles Schulz: $40m (£26m)
- Bob Marley: $21m (£13.7m)
- Elizabeth Taylor: $20m (£13m)
- Marilyn Monroe: $17m (£11m)
- John Lennon: $12m (£7.8m)
- Albert Einstein: $11m (£7.1m)
- Paul Walker: $10.5m (£6.8m)
- Bettie Page: $10m (£6.5m)
- Theodor Geisel (Dr Seuss): $9.5m (£6.1m)
- Steve McQueen: $9m (£5.8m)
- James Dean: $8.5m (£5.5m)