Mevlüt Mert Altintas, 22, shot and killed Andrey Karlov while he was giving a speech Monday night at an art gallery opening, the mayor of Ankara told AFP. Altintas was later “neutralized,” authorities said.
Altintas made references to the situation in Aleppo, Syria, after the shooting, CNN reports.
According to reports from the scene, multiple people were shot or otherwise injured during the attack.
Three people were taken to the hospital, Hurriyet Daily News reports.
Here’s what you need to know:
1. Video Shows Him Shouting ‘Allahu Akbar’ & About Aleppo After the Shooting
A video shows the shooting of Andrey Karlov, the Russian ambassador to Turkey, at an art gallery in Ankara. The gunman shouted about Aleppo after opening fire.
2. He Was Killed During a Gunfight With Security Forces
3. He Became a Police Officer in 2014 & Was Serving as a Member of the Special Forces
4. The Attack Was Intended to Disrupt Relations Between Russia & Turkey, Ankara’s Mayor Says
There were reports of an Aleppo genocide as a ceasefire was reportedly reached following Syrian government forces taking control. Reports say women and children were murdered in a mass execution.
5. Karlov Became the Russian Ambassador to Turkey in 2013 & Was a Married Father
Andrey Karlov, the Russian ambassador to Turkey, was shot during an attack at an art gallery opening in Anakra.