Prince Harry and Meghan Markle have made their exit from the Royal Family official with a new ‘out-of-office’ email reply.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex officially stepped down as senior royals on Tuesday with the message confirming their office is “now closed”.
Following crisis meetings in January between the Queen and the couple after they announced their unprecedented intentions to quit and move to North America – the abdication agreement reached went into effect yesterday.
The auto response, seen by People, said: “Many thanks for your email. The office for the Duke and Duchess of Sussex has now closed.”
As they completed their final engagements and flew back and forth between the UK and a rented mansion on Vancouver Island, all their London staff were laid off.
With their Buckingham Palace no longer operational, the Sussexes’ staff were no longer needed, leaving their communications head Sara Latham to step up to the Queen’s private office.
She will now be reporting directly to the monarch’s private secretary Edward Young while the Palace will no longer comment on matters relating to Harry and Meghan.
An official statement on Monday went on to say that also goes for any “palace spokespeople” including household reps and royal sources.
US agency Sunshine Sachs will now manage the Sussexes’ communications.
The Sussex Royal Foundation, which the pair headed alongside Prince William and Kate Middleton, has begun winding up.
The charitable foundation had been launched by Harry and Meghan after they decided to step down as senior royals, however, they were then barred from using the Sussex Royal title once no longer part of The Firm.
The couple do, however, intend to continue supporting their other patronages and have started the ball rolling on a new non-profit organisation.
The Sussex Royal name can also not be used for social media or their website – with Harry and Meghan sharing their final Instagram post on Monday.
“For now, there will be no additional information on their next steps,” said a spokesperson.
The pair officially retain their titles but will not be actively using HRH.
Harry and 11-month-old Archie, remain sixth and seventh in the line for the throne, however.