The comedian took to Instagram to announce the news.
“It’s official. Bad Boys for Life. #teammartymar #badboysforlife @willsmith #weback”
Lawrence’s fans, of course, are all in and ready to roll.
“I’m ready the legends are back woohoo @willsmith and @martinlawrence” one fan queenxscorpion44 commented.
“This brings me joy to my heart,” said drizzledre80.
Smith reportedly was on board long before Martin to return as the stylish and trigger-happy Miami detective Mike Lowrey. There was some fear that Martin wouldn’t sign on and that was a major because the two made movie magic before with the 1995 Bad Boys and the 2003 Bad Boys II sequel.
So the question was could a third installment stand the test of time without Lawrence on board as Marcus Burnett?
Another concern that the movie had been stalled was because last year Lawrence shut down the idea of a Bad Boys 3 and a possible Bad Boys 4 being made.
“There can’t be a ‘Bad Boys 4’ if there hasn’t even been a ‘Bad Boys 3,’ ” Lawrence said previously. “The whole ‘Bad Boys’ — there’s no ‘Bad Boys’ going on. There’s no ‘Bad Boys.’”
On September 8, Will Smith expressed his frustration with the process on Instagram writing, “This has been Me with @sonypictures tryna get Bad Boys made! :-).”
Well, no more worries.
In fact, the long hiatus of the Bad Boys movies will somewhat play into the movie’s storyline.
According to some Bad Boys 3 character breakdowns, the new film would center around Marcus Burnett (played by Martin Lawrence) working as a private investigator having fallen out with his former partner Mike Lowery (Will Smith). Lowery is in the midst of a mid-life crisis while having to deal with being matched with a new younger partner. And then the pair find themselves reunited after an Albanian puts out a death order on both men, for the killing of his brother.
Let’s go Bad Boys and get this movie done!
The movie is set for a 2020 release date.