“I knew one of them because he had a big scar on one of his hands,” Reuben Kimani said. “I saw them. They shot six of my friends, four didn’t die but two succumbed.”
One survivor rescued from the building said the attackers were “very confident; they were people who knew what they were doing”.
“Al-Shabaab has selected a target that is highly symbolic of Kenya’s economic success and its latest attack is aimed at undermining foreign investment and the recovery of the country’s tourism sector,” said Robert Besseling of EXX Intelligence, a risk consultancy on Africa.
President Uhuru Kenyatta said Wednesday that gunmen who stormed an upmarket hotel complex, killing 14 people, had been “eliminated” after an almost 20-hour siege in which hundreds of civilians were rescued.
The attack was claimed by the Al-Qaeda-linked Somali group Al-Shabaab, which has repeatedly targeted Kenya since it sent its army into Somalia in October 2011 to fight the jihadist group.