in , ,

Jamaican Woman Found Dead After Going On Drinking Spree To Celebrate Birthday | Video

 

A Jamaican woman was found dead after she reportedly consumed over 20 cups of an alcoholic beverage to celebrate her 21st birthday, The Gleaner reported. The deceased, identified as Shannoy Brown, was on Thursday found unresponsive in bed.

Authorities have since launched an investigation into the circumstances surrounding her death. The deceased Kentish District resident is said to have gone on the drinking spree on Wednesday. She was later found unresponsive after she went to bed.

ALSO READ:  2018 Nobel Prize in Literature Cancelled Amidst Sexual Assault Scandal

A video that was shared on social media reportedly showed Brown drinking what appeared to be alcohol as she counted to 21.

Loading...
ALSO READ:  17-Year-Old Modou Jobe From Gambia Places 3rd in UAE Quran Competition

In related news, a 23-year-old South African man collapsed and died after he partook in a drinking competition, How Africa reported in July.

Police spokesperson Brig Motlafela Mojapelo said the incident happened at a bar in the village of Mashamba, per Sowetan Live.

Mojapelo said the deceased man was part of a group of people who allegedly partook in a challenge to ascertain who could finish a full bottle of Jägermeister. The money on the table was R200 (around $11).

“One of them immediately collapsed thereafter and was taken to the local clinic, where he was certified dead,” Mojapelo said.

The chief executive of Alcohol Concern, Jackie Ballard, told the Huffington Post that “people need to remember that alcohol is a toxin and can have life-threatening and immediate effects if consumed in a large amount at once.”

“These challenges and fads show just how hard we have to work to warn people of the dangers of binge drinking,” Ballard added.

“Your body can only process one unit of alcohol an hour, and less in some people. Drink a lot in a short space of time and the amount of alcohol in the blood can stop the body from working properly,” Elaine Hindal, who is the chief executive at alcohol education charity Drinkaware, also said, per MEEAWW.

“The current ‘binge drinking’ culture is already bad enough with people downing bottles of wine before they start their night out, without now daring each other to do the same with spirits, which can be very strong,” another specialist, Dr. Helen Webberley, added.

“This is very dangerous for acute liver toxicity and alcohol poisoning, and then there is the worry of long-term liver damage.” She added, “Acute alcoholic hepatitis can be very nasty and fatal, and long-term complications of alcohol abuse can be irreversible and ultimately result in a painful death. No one should take this risk for a few likes on social media.”

CLICK HERE TO START NOW

Loading...

Written by How Africa News

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

15 + 2 =

Comedian Fired After Using N-Word During Set On Cruise

5 Famous People You Didn’t Know Are From The Republic Of Congo