The full list comprises Armenia, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Bosnia, Brazil, Chile, the Dominican Republic, Kuwait, North Macedonia, Moldova, Oman, Panama and Peru.
The ban affects anyone who has stayed in or travelled through these countries in the last 14 days, Health Minister Roberto Speranza said in a statement.
The health ministry in agreement with the foreign, interior and transport ministries signed the decree banning visitors from entering the country as the country recovers from the pandemic that has killed almost 35,000 people in Italy .
Italy was the first country to be hit by the virus after it emerged in China late last year.
On Thursday 12 new deaths were declared compared to 15 the previous day.
The inclusion of Brazil on the list comes as no surprise as Brazil has suffered the highest number of COVID-19 fatalities apart from the United States, with nearly 68,000 dead.
“Throughout the world, the pandemic has entered a more acute phase,” said Health Minister Roberto Speranza.
“We cannot throw away the sacrifices made by Italians in recent months,” he added.