Documents on a hard drive, which was dropped by Isis jihadis killed in a desert battle, detail proposals for a “Bureau of Foreign Relations for the Department of Operations in Europe” to organise, arm and fund atrocities.
In a letter passed to The Sunday Times, a senior militant calling himself Abu Taher al-Tajiki told local Isis leaders he was in contact with “individuals who want to work in areas far away from the Islamic State”.
Requesting permission to set up the new “bureau”, he added: “Before they carry out the operations, they will send us the targets if the connection is secure. Otherwise, they do the operation. And by the will of Allah we will meet all of their needs, for those who want it.”
Other letters saw the same writer offer to use sleeper cells across Syria to assassinate targets named by Isis leaders, following a series of murders and bombings in the group’s former territories.
Smoke rises after an air strike in Syria amid the final push by U.S.-backed fighters against ISIS. The terror group is reportedly planning new kidnappings and suicide attacks in Europe
An Islamic State militant flag, foreground ,lies in a tent encampment after U.S.-backed Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) fighters took control of Baghouz yesterday
U.S.-backed Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) fighters pose for a photo on a rooftop overlooking Baghouz, Syria, after the SDF declared the area free of Islamic State militants
Among the proposals in the ISIS letters are a ‘Department of Operations in Europe’ and elsewhere.
The jihadists claim to have allies ‘who want to work in areas far away from the Islamic State’ and carry out attacks in Europe.
One letter to an ISIS leader reportedly reads: ‘ Every person who forms a threat to the Islamic State of to our Caliph or his deputy, you only need to send us his photo, the place he lives and his number.
‘Then wait for us to send you the video of his killing, by the will of God.’
Practical planning is said to include providing suicide bombers and vehicles for kidnappings and reconnaissance.
ISIS has previously claimed responsibility for the Paris attacks in 2015 among other attacks in Europe and its supporters were linked to the wave of terror in the UK in 2017.
Security chiefs in Europe and the U.S. have warned that ISIS remains a threat, despite losing its grip on the last of its territory in Syria.
Pictured: ISIS weapons seized by Syrian Democratic Forces. Mustafa Bali, a spokesman for the Syrian Democratic Forces, tweeted that ‘Baghouz is free and the military victory against Daesh has been achieved’
Footage released by ISIS appears to show burqa-clad women firing AK-47s at SDF forces during the final days of the so-called caliphate
Until now, women have been stopped from joining ISIS forces on the frontline as it is considered taboo
The group proclaimed a ‘caliphate’ in Syria and Iraq in 2014 but had been reduced to a holdout in Baghouz in eastern Syria in recent weeks as fleeing terrorists, women and children poured out of the camp.
Yesterday the U.S.-backed Syrian Democratic Forces declared a ‘total elimination’ in Baghouz after flushing out the last ISIS fanatics.
The terrorist group’s bloody last stand saw male and female fanatics hiding in caves as US-backed forces rained down an overnight barrage on Thursday.
But experts and politicians warned that ISIS would remain an ‘enormous threat’.
Dr Karin von Hippel, the former chief of staff to the special presidential envoy for the Global Coalition to counter Islamic State, said the fall of the group was an ‘important milestone’.
‘It is the territorial defeat of ISIS , but they still are an enormous threat,’ Dr von Hippel, director general of the Royal United Services Institute think tank, added.