The Pentagon has confirmed that Iran launched missiles at US military and coalition forces in Iraq on Tuesday. January 7th in response to the killing of its top general, Soleimani.
According to the Pentagon, Iran fired more than a dozen missiles. “It is clear that these missiles were launched from Iran and targeted at least two Iraqi military bases hosting U.S. military and coalition personnel at Al-Assad and Irbil. We are working on initial battle damage assessments” Jonathan Hoffman, assistant to the Secretary of Defense for Public Affairs, said in a statement.
The bases, he said, have been on high alert “due to indications that the Iranian regime planned to attack our forces and interests in the region. As we evaluate the situation and our response, we will take all necessary measures to protect and defend U.S. personnel, partners, and allies in the region,” the Pentagon said.
Security has now been increased around the grounds of the White House in light of the current tensions with Iran.
President Trump in his response Tweeted, ‘All is well! Missiles launched from Iran at two military bases located in Iraq. Assessment of casualties & damages taking place now. So far, so good! We have the most powerful and well equipped military anywhere in the world, by far! I will be making a statement tomorrow morning’.
The Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps also said via its official Telegram channel that, in the event Iranian soil is bombed, it will target the cities of Dubai United Arab Emirates, and Haifa Israel, in the third wave of operations.
Iran’s minister of telecommunications Mohammad Javad Azari Jahromi took to Twitter following the missile attack on US targets in Iraq to Tweet; “Get the hell out of our region!”.