Prince Harry says he and Meghan, the Duchess of Sussex, are suing the Mail on Sunday newspaper over the publication of a letter written by the duchess
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex filed suit against the Daily Mail’s parent company after the tabloid published a private letter written by Meghan Markle earlier this year.
The royal couple filed a claim against Associated Papers for the misuse of private information, infringement of copyright and breach of the United Kingdom’s Data Protection Act 2018, according to the law firm representing the couple.
Harry also penned a scathing statement against the British tabloids for a “ruthless campaign” against his wife.
“I’ve seen what happens when someone I love is commoditized to the point that they are no longer treated or seen as a real person,” he said. “I lost my mother and now I watch my wife falling victim to the same powerful forces.”
Harry accused the Mail of publishing a private letter from his wife “in an intentionally destructive manner” by editing out entire paragraphs to manipulate readers.
The Mail on Sunday stands by the story it published and will be defending this case vigorously. Specifically, we categorically deny that the Duchess’s letter was edited in any way that changed its meaning,” a spokesman for the paper said.