However, unripe plantain is embedded with many nutritional benefits one cannot imagine, according to researches carried out by experts. Plantain is cooked in various ways, depending on what recipe you plan to make. Plantain can be cooked and eaten boiled, roasted, mashed, baked, grilled or even as plantain porridge. If it is cooked with fish, vegetables and a sprinkle of oil, it no doubt offers a truly balanced diet consisting of carbohydrates, proteins lipids, vitamins and minerals as just a meal at a goal.
– 6 Pieces of green / unripe plantain
– Vegetable leaves ( ugwu or spinach)
– Dried fish
– 2 cloves of garlic
– Small sliced ginger
– Palm oil
– A bit of sugar
– Seasoning cubes
1. Wash your unpeeled green plantain in warm water first before you start.
2. Holding the plantain down with one hand, cut off both ends.
3. Remove the peel by making a vertical slit on the side of the fruit, about a quarter of a centimeter deep, just below the covering with a kitchen knife.
4. Dip in water and allow to soak for about 5 minutes, this will make the peel come off more easily.
5. Wash and slice the vegetable leaves (Ugwu or dried ugwu or spinach vegetable.
6. Then peel the plantain skin with a knife.
7. Cut some pieces of plantain and blend it into a paste as the thickener. Then slice the plantain into medium sized cubes and place into the cooking pot or sauce pan.
8. Pour some water till it covers the plantain then boil for about 10 to 20 minutes.
9. Add dried fish , crayfish, pepper, shrimps, few slices of onions, garlic, ginger tomatoes, a bit of sugar, salt, seasoning cubes . Then allow to boil for about 10 – 15 minutes. Ensure to stir occasionally.
10. Add palm oil, stir and cover for 5 minutes.
11. Add Ugwu leaves, stir, and allow to simmer for another 5 minutes. The porridge should now be soft with a thick creamy paste to the base and ready to be served.
1. The fiber content reduces cholesterol level which reduce the risk of developing any heart disease.
2. It is extremely low in fat and salt.
3. The presence of potassium in an unripe plantain prevent heart attack and hypertension by controlling the heart rate and blood pressure.
4. The presence of serotonin, that aids and improves blood flow and reduces homocystine a condition that causes coronary artery disease and stroke.
5. It contains vitamin B6 which helps in the production of red blood cells
6. Vitamin B6 helps to cure inflammation of the nerve.
7. Due to the low carbohydrate content it can serve as a diet for the control of weight, type 1 or type 2 diabetes, hypertension and a few other medical conditions.
8. It reduces constipation.
9. Aids in circulatory and digestive system.
10. It contains vitamin A for good eye sight and vision.
11. It also contains calcium which helps to prevent disease such as osteoporosis. While calcium is needed for stronger bones, muscles, nail s and teeth.
12. The presence of phytochemical properties such as leucocyanidin can prevent ulcer.
13. The presence of vitamin B6 and C makes unripe plantain good for skin complexion, builds immunity against disease and free radicals.
14. Be it roasted or cooked, it increases sperm volume and thicken fluid.
15. It enhances sexual performances, reduces sexual weakness, impotence and increase libido.