“The AU-EU-UN task force reiterates its continued commitment to work with Libya and support the overall efforts of the interim government on migration management, in line with international law, and for the benefit of all involved,” said the statement.
The statement also expressed concern about the fact that there are almost 6,000 most vulnerable migrants and asylum seekers currently in detention centers.
“Severe overcrowding, lack of adequate facilities and provision of basic services, restricted humanitarian access and human rights violations result in unacceptable conditions for the men, women and children detained,” the statement explained.
It strongly urged the Libyan authorities to end the current detention system, calling for an immediate release of women and children and substantial improvement of conditions in the detention centers.
Meanwhile, Amnesty International said in a separate report released Thursday that migrants held in Libyan detention camps are subject to horrific sexual violence at the hands of guards, including being forced to barter sex for clean water, food and access to sanitation.
Libya has been suffering insecurity and chaos since the fall of the late leader Muammar Gaddafi in 2011, making the North African country a preferred point of departure for irregular migrants who want to cross the Mediterranean Sea to European shores.
So far in 2021, more than 16,000 migrants have been intercepted, while 234 died and 510 went missing off the Libyan coast on the Central Mediterranean route, according to the International Organization for Migration.