The US president said that Washington had talked enough with North Korea on Twitter: “Dialogue is not the solution!” A statement following a North Korean ballistic missile strike over Japan .
“The United States has been discussing and paying money unduly to North Korea for 25 years. Dialogue is not the solution! “Tweeted Donald Trump, August 30, 2017, apparently out of patience. A little later that same day, the Pentagon wanted to moderate the president’s remarks. “A diplomatic solution with North Korea is still possible,” said the US Department of Defense.
The U.S. has been talking to North Korea, and paying them extortion money, for 25 years. Talking is not the answer!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) August 30, 2017
The verbal escalation between Donald Trump and Kim Jong-un, which had lasted several months, seemed to have subsided somewhat after Pyongyang’s decision to abandon the idea of firing missiles near the American island of Guam, in the Pacific. The American president had even welcomed this decision, in a tweet of August 16, welcoming a “wise” position.
An atomic scramble
At the heart of the quarrel between the two countries is the North Korean nuclear program. On August 23, US Foreign Secretary Rex Tillerson said he was open to negotiations with Pyongyang, on condition that they are about the denuclearization of North Korea.
Since then, the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea has carried out a new ballistic missile that has passed over Japan before being damaged at sea on 29 August.
“Threatening and destabilizing,” Donald Trump reacted to characterize this military action, adding that North Korea had “demonstrated contempt for its neighbors, for all members of the United Nations and for the minimum required in Diplomatic standards “.