In a study where the biocidal properties of the coconut oil have been tested against the bacteria responsible for tooth decay, the oil proved to be quite effective.
His action has been tested in its natural state, as well as after being treated in enzymes, in a process which is similar to digestion. The oils has been tested against strains of Streptococcus bacteria, very common inhabitants of our mouth.
It has been discovered that enzyme-modified coconut oil is strongly effective and it inhibits the growth of most of the strains of Streptococcus bacteria, including Streptococcus mutans, an acid-producing bacterium , which is the major cause of the tooth decay. Also, it has been said that the breaking down of the fatty coconut oil by the enzymes, turns into acids that are toxic for some bacteria. Dr. Damien Brady, a chief researcher has said :
“Incorporating enzyme-modified coconut oil into dental hygiene products would be an attractive alternative to chemical additives, particularly as it works at relatively low concentrations. Also, with increasing antibiotic resistance, it is important that we turn our attention to new ways to combat microbial infection.”
6 Reasons to Use Coconut Oil as Toothpaste
The six top reasons, reported by MindBodyGreen, include the following:
1. No Harmful Chemicals
Some conventional toothpaste , for example Colgate total, contain an antibacterial chemical named triclosan, which is linked with the concerns over antibiotic resistance and endocrine disruption. Those endocrine – disrupting chemicals can be a serious concern, as they can cause various health problems, which include: breast, ovarian, prostate, and testicular cancer, preterm and low birth weight babies, precocious puberty in girls, and undescended testicles in boys.
Some studies made on animals have shown that triclosan can cause fetal bone malformations in mice and rats, that may hint at hormonal effects.
ANOTHER CHEMICAL WHICH IS COMMON IN CONVENTIONAL TOOTHPASTE IS FLUORIDE, WHICH IS A TOXIC INDUSTRIAL WASTE PRODUCT, WHICH CAN BE POISONOUS FOR YOUR BODY EVEN IF IT IS IN SMALL AMOUNTS.
2. Effective against cavity-causing bacteria
The researches also show that when you massage your gums about 10 minutes daily with coconut oil, continually for three weeks, it can for sure reduce the decay-causing Streptococcus mutans as well as plaque.
3. No foaming agents
A lot of toothpastes also consist of surfactants such as sodium laurel sulfate, sodium laureth sulfate (SLS), or sodium lauryl ether sulfate (SLES). Surfactants are the chemicals which are responsible for the foaming action of the toothpaste, but they can aslo interfere with your taste buds’ function, whit breaking up the phospholipids on your tongue.
This is the reason why everything you taste after brushing your teeth has bad and bitter taste. This can be also a part of the reason why coconut oil works so well for oral hygiene, because it is helpful in maintaining a more natural balance of lipids on your tongue, while it still has potent antibacterial properties.
SLS has also been linked with painful canker sores with research that suggests an SLS-free toothpaste to be used for people with recurring sores.
You will need just a small amount of coconut oil in order to keep your teeth clean, one jar for one month will be enough, so it will be a very inexpensive toothpaste.
5. You can use it on your dog’s teeth too
When you don’t want to brush your dog’s teeth with ordinary human toothpaste, as for humans, coconut oil is also effective for pets too. The best will be when you apply it with a toothbrush, but by just licking a small amount of the oil, your dog may aslo get some health benefits. The recipe that we have below is not recommended for dogs, becouse some ingredients which can be good fr humans, can be toxic for pets.
6. Simple to Make
Making a coconut oil toothpaste can be very easy, just by using several ingredients, such as:
-Baking soda, which acts as an abrasive and helps with whitening;
– Essential oils, in order to give flavour and add additional therapeutic benefits to your toothpaste. For example, the peppermint oil extract has been shown to be superior to the mouthwash chemical chlorhexidine in inhibiting the formation of biofilm formations linked to dental cavities;
– Some natural sweeteners such as: erythritol, xylitol, or stevia (optional). Xylitol has been linked with reductions in cavities, but it is not recommended when you are planning to give the toothpaste to your dog, as it can be very toxic for them;
– Bentonite clay, which can add a paste-like consistency and may also help in drawing out toxins from your gums and tongue.
You can use coconut oil for oil pulling to
Oil pulling means ‘rinsing’ your mouth with the coconut oil, as you do with a moutwash, but you should not attempt to gargle with it. The oils works in your mouth by pushing, pulling and drawing it into your teeth, for about 15 to 20 minutes. When you try it for the first time, you may want to try it for just five minutes at a time.
The process is very useful in pulling out cavity-causing bacteria and other debris from your mouth. When it becomes thin and milky white, you will need to spit it out. There was a report in the Indian Journal of the Dental Research , saying:
“Oil pulling has been used extensively as a traditional Indian folk remedy without scientific proof for many years for strengthening teeth, gums, and jaws and to prevent decay, oral malodor, bleeding gums, and dryness of throat and cracked lips.”
It has been scientifically proven that oil pulling has a significant cleansing and healing effect, as:
– Oil pulling reduces counts of Streptococcus mutans bacteria – a significant contributor to which leads to tooth decay – in the plaque and saliva of children. Researchers have also concluded, “Oil pulling can be used as an effective preventive adjunct in maintaining and improving oral health.”;
– Oil pulling also reduces plaque significantly, improves the health of gum, reduces aerobic microorganisms, in plaque among adolescent boys with plaque-induced gingivitis;
– It is effective as moutwash is, because it improves bad breath and reduces the microorganisms that cause it;
– Oil pulling is beneficial for your mouth as it has a mechanical cleaning action. Some researchers have noted: “The myth that the effect of oil pulling therapy on oral health was just a placebo effect has been broken and there are clear indications of possible saponification and emulsification process, which enhances its mechanical cleaning action.”
But it is nothing worth that the above mentioned methods or studies, have used sesame oil, which was traditionally recommended.
A comprehensive approach to improve your dental health
Much safer toothpastes then fluoride-containing toothpastes, are those that contain natural ingredients, like baking soda, essential oils, xylitol, and others. There is no need of exposing yourself to the risk caused by toothpastes containing fluoride, or some other dangerous and harmful chemicals, such as triclosan and sodium lauryl sulfate. Here are some of our basic guidelines for how safely and naturally to obtain your dental health:
– You should avoid water which is fluoridated, as well as fluoridated toothpaste. Instead of the fluoride – containing toothpaste, use some non – fluoride one, a homemade one, or form some reputable brand;
– You should minimize the consumption of sugar and grain. Keep your fructose intake to less than 25 grams per day. Also, avoid processed foods;
– Make sure that you maintain a diet which is full and rich with fresh, whole foods, fermented vegetables, and grass-fed meats, which will ensure the planty of minerals you intake, which are very important for having strong bones and teeth;
– You should practice good oral hygiene,as well as get regular cleanings from a mercury-free natural dentist. Also, if you scrub your teeth with some washcloth before brushing them, it will help in removing the built-up biofilm.
– Nature has a lot of effective ways and natural solutions for having fresh breath. For example, some natural fresheners are chewing on fresh parsley, mint, cilantro, or ginger slices. What will also help you in getting rid of odor-causing bacteria is placing a cucumber slice on the roof of your mouth. According to the principles of Ayurveda, the consumption of cucumber can be also helpful in releasing excess heat in your stomach, which is said to be the primary cause and reason for bad breath.