As Nigeria records its first case of coronavirus, the Nigerian government has put in place measures to ensure it does not spread further.
The federal ministry of health has released 6 major tips on how to avoid contracting the viral disease.
The coronavirus is formally referred to as COVID-19 and it is perceived to be more hazardous than many other viruses before it because of the way it spreads. The death rate is equally alarming.
— Erinix👑 (@ujuAmara2) February 28, 2020
Read the tips below by the ministry of health:
1. Regularly and thoroughly wash your hands with soap and water, and use alcohol-based hand sanitiser.
2. Maintain at least one and a half metres (5 feet) distance between yourself and anyone who is coughing or sneezing.
3. Persons with persistent cough or sneezing should stay home or keep a social distance, but not mix in-crowd.
4. Make sure you and people around you, follow good respiratory hygiene, meaning cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or into your sleeve at the bent elbow or tissue when you cough or sneeze. Then dispose of the used tissue immediately.
5. Stay home if you feel unwell with symptoms like fever, cough and difficulty in breathing. Please call NCDC toll free number which is available day and night, for guidance- 0800-970000-10. Do not engage in self-medication.
6. Stay informed on the latest developments about COVID-19 through official channels on TV and Radio.
Citizens have also been urged not to abuse social media and indulge in spreading misinformation about the situation that causes fear and panic.