in ,

Conor McGregor Suspended from UFC On Medical Grounds After Defeat to Khabib Nurmagomedov

Conor McGregor has been handed a one-month suspension from the UFC on medical grounds following his defeat to Khabib Nurmagomedov at UFC 229.

The Irishman was tapped out in the fourth round of their lightweight championship bout in Las Vegas on Saturday (Sunday NZT) after Nurmagomedov administered a rear naked choke.

A UFC medical statement read: “Conor McGregor: Suspended until 6/11/18, no contact until 28/10/18.”

McGregor’s medical suspension for a month by the Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) comes as no surprise.

It is standard for someone beaten up in defeat and McGregor took some severe punishment in the second round from Nurmagomedov’s fists, before submitting to the choke hold from the Russian, looking exhausted.

McGregor’s suspension is meaningless because he was never going to fight again a month again anyway.

He has a bigger issue on his hands right now. He has been dragged into the investigation that is looking at the brawl and chaos that erupted after the fight.

Conor McGregor suffered a fourth-round loss to Khabib Nurmagomedov in their UFC lightweight title fight.
AP
Conor McGregor suffered a fourth-round loss to Khabib Nurmagomedov in their UFC lightweight title fight.

Initially McGregor had been cleared of any responsibility as Nurmagomedov leaped out of the octagon and attacked one of the Irishman’s trainers.

McGregor was then a victim of Nurmagomedov ‘s entourage jumping into the cage and attacking him.

But a fresh review of video footage suggests McGregor hit one of Nurmagomedov’s trainers when he jumped on top of the cage himself. That’s when Nurmagomedov’s team went after him and the new view seems to be that McGregor may have started the scuffle that enveloped him.

Loading...

The Nevada State Athletic Commission elected to hold Nurmagomedov’s US$2 million (NZ$3.1 million) pay cheque in expectation of filing a complaint. It released McGregor’s US$3 million (NZ$4.6 million) fee but now intends to file a complaint against the Irishman as well in the wake of a fresh look at video evidence and interviews with people around the melee.

“We will be filing against Conor McGregor and Khabib Nurmagomedov,” NSAC chairman Anthony Marnell told ESPN.

“Because we withheld one purse, we will have to move expeditiously to a complaint and hearing. We have held 100 per cent of one of the fighter’s money. Temporary suspensions will be out shortly, and we’re shooting for a final hearing date in November.”

The NSAC’s next commission hearing is scheduled for October 24, but the scale of this investigation means it is unlikely to be heard until the end of  November.

“This is a serious issue, this is not a light issue,” Marnell said. “This isn’t, ‘we smacked each other in the face in a hotel lobby the week of a fight’. This is the night of the event, and it needs to stay inside that field of combat. There are serious regulations and statutes about what took place, and the consequences have to match the actions.”

Loading...

Written by MT

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Tanzania Scraps Visa On Arrival For Nigeria, Somalia, Mali, Others

Nigeria 2019: Atiku, Buhari and A List of Presidential Candidates Contesting in Next Year’s Election