Don’t let finances stop you from pursuing your educational goals. I know how frustrating it can be to receive acceptance into a bachelor’s or master’s program, and not be able to afford it. But like my mother always says, “when there is a will, there is a way and what God has in store for you, no one can take away”.
Using my insights from working in college admissions as well as my own personal experience applying for graduate scholarships, I’ve compiled a list of scholarships out there for African women (sorry, fellas). Most of them are in the United States and Canada, but some are in other regions. This is by no means a comprehensive list, but hopefully it’s a good start.
Raising money requires hard work and advanced planning. But it’s possible! In 2015, I received both the American Association of University Women (AAUW) International Fellowship and the Philanthropic Educational Organization (P.E.O) International Peace Scholarship to finance my graduate studies at the University of Pennsylvania. With patience, persistence, and prayer, you too can achieve your dreams.
Please comment if you have any questions. Good luck, ladies!
- American Association for University Women (AAUW) International Fellowship
- Philanthropic Educational Organization (P.E.O) International Peace Scholarship
- MasterCard Foundation Scholarships Program at Wellesley College, USA
- Oprah Winfrey’s African Women’s Public Service Fellowship at New York University
- Margaret McNamara Educational Grants Scholarships for Women from Developing Countries
- Google Women Techmakers Scholars Programme for Women in Africa
- Zawadi Africa Education Fund Undergraduate Scholarship for Women
- Nigerian Women Association of Georgia (NWAG) The Morning Star Scholarship for Nigerian Women
- Working to Advance African Women (WAAW) Foundation Undergraduate Scholarships for African Women
- MSFS Full-tuition Scholarship at Georgetown University for Students from Africa
- Harvard University International Women’s Research in Religion Studies
- Penn-UNESCO Fellowship at the University of Pennsylvania Graduate School of Education
- Visiola Foundation STEM Scholarships for African Girls
- Elsevier Foundation Awards for Early-Career Women Scientists in Developing Nations
- Microsoft Research Graduate Women’s Scholarship
- Jane M Klausman Women in Business Scholarship
- HEC Paris-Forté Foundation for International Women Scholars
- Global Change Leaders Programme for Women in Developing Countries
- African Women in Agricultural Research and Development (AWARD) Fellowships
- Huawei-She Leads Africa Fellowship Program