In an initial statement released after trailers of Meghan and Harry’s interview with Oprah Winfrey were aired, the Palace said it would investigate the claims of bullying made by the British media.
The British media report published earlier this month cited unnamed royal aides as saying a complaint had been made against Meghan in 2018.
According to CNN, the palace has now hired a law firm to investigate these claims.
A spokesman for Buckingham Palace said on Monday, March 15: “Our commitment to look into the circumstances around allegations from former staff of The Duke and Duchess of Sussex is being taken forward but we will not be providing a public commentary on it.”
Harry and Meghan did not comment on Monday, but a spokesperson for the couple previously dismissed bullying accusations as “defamatory.”
The Spokesperson for the Duke and Duchess of Sussex said: “Let’s just call this what it is — a calculated smear campaign based on misleading and harmful misinformation. We are disappointed to see this defamatory portrayal of The Duchess of Sussex given credibility by a media outlet.”