Brothers Who Tortured And Killed Brit Woman, 64, After Breaking Into Her SA Farm Home Are Jailed For 37 Years Each


Two brothers have been sentenced to 37 years in prison for the 2017 murder of a British woman in South Africa, who died after she and her husband were tortured.

The masked raiders tied up and brutally attacked Susan Howarth, 64, and Robert Lynn, 66, on their farm in Dullstroom, in South Africa’s eastern Mpumalanga province.

The couple were shot, stabbed and tortured  by three men who broke into their home. Ms Howarth died during the attack in February 2017 after suffering horrific injuries.

Her husband miraculously survived. In his victim impact statement, he told the court: ‘I am in my own prison of fear and total sadness,’ five years on from the ordeal.

Brothers Meshack Nkosinathi Yika, 28, and Themba William Yika, 38, were originally charged along-side a third man,  Lucas Makau, who died during the trial.

The assailants were from Bergendal farm, near Belfast in South Africa. According to the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) in Mpumalanga, they were both sentenced on June 30 to 37 years in prison for the attack.


‘The three broke into farmhouse of Marchlands in Dullstroom, in the district of Belfast and found the couple sleeping,’ NPA spokeswoman Monica Nyuswa said.

‘They attacked them with a blowtorch, and shot Susan in the head who later succumbed to injuries.’

Nyuswa described how the home invaders shot Mr Lynn once in the neck and dragged the couple to the living room where the demanded money from them.

‘They continued to assault the complainant until he opened the safe and took an amount of R320, two cellphones and a camera,’ the spokeswoman said.

‘They further burnt him with blowtorch several times on his body. He gave them his bank card and the PIN number with the hope that they would leave him.

‘Instead, they covered his face with a plastic bag and forced both the deceased and the surviving victim in their van and drove away.

‘They then threw them out along the road. The matter was reported to the police and the investigations led to their arrest,’ Nyuswa said.

During the trial, prosecutor Adv Eric Sihlangu shared Mr Lynn’s account of what happened during the terrifying 2am home invasion, which saw the three men enter in through a window and tie the couple up.

It was revealed that Mr Lynn was stabbed once in the shoulder, taken from his home and forced to kneel down in scrubland. He was then shot another time in the neck. But Mr Lynn survived the brutal attack and managed to free himself and find his terribly injured wife nearby after being left for dead.

Police said at the time she was unrecognisable from her injuries and was in a coma. Her husband raised the alarm she was rushed to hospital but died 48 hours later. She had multiple fractures to her her skull, gunshot wounds and horrific burns from the blowtorch to her breasts.

Judge Lineo Liphoto at Mpumalanga High Court found the brothers guilty of six offences: murder, attempted murder, kidnapping, housebreaking, robbery and possession of an unlicensed firearm – for a total of more than 50 years.

However, the court ordered that some of their sentences would run concurrently, meaning they will each serve a maximum of 37 years in prison.

In a victim impact statement read out in court, Mr Lynn said before the sentencing that he ‘will never have peace again’ after the attack.

‘Due to the trauma of the incident, I had to pack up my whole life and leave the country because I no longer felt safe,’ his letter said, according to Maroela Media.

‘I will never have peace again. Our friends and family are just as traumatized as I am. I am in my own prison of fear and absolute sadness because of the acts of violence against me and Sue.’

‘They have proven that they are professional criminals. I myself will be in prison for the rest on my life without a chance of parole.’


Written by PH

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


Farmer, 89, Who Killed His Wife And Hid Her Body For 37 Years Has Been Jailed For 18 Years

Rochester Police Officer Suspended After He’s Seen Handcuffing EMT Worker In Emergency Room