Yussuf Mustapha’s identity was revealed by a judge at Birmingham Crown Court today, Nov. 29.
He is facing a mandatory life sentence alongside three other teenagers convicted of murdering 15-year-old Keon near his home in Handsworth, Birmingham.
Keon was shot at and stabbed after trying to escape the 30-second assault in January this year. He died two hours later at Birmingham Children’s Hospital from a gunshot wound to the stomach.
In a victim impact statement today, Keon’s mother said: “I am in a nightmare that I cannot wake up from. A piece of soul has been taken from me.”
Sentencing, Lord Justice William Davis said the murder had been “carefully planned and executed” using a revolver and a car stolen for use in the killing.
He added: “Keon’s mother was in the family home, she went out to find her son dying on the pavement having heard the gunshots outside. Not only had she been robbed of her son, but also had the experience and trauma of watching him die.
“When a 15-year-old boy is killed in that way the first question anybody asks is ‘why?’. That question has never been answered.”
Mustapha was convicted of murder by jurors earlier this month following a five-week trial. He told jurors he was not at the murder scene but later admitted he had lied to police.
Lifting a court order banning the media from naming Mustapha, the judge said that it was in the public interest to name him.
The judge also said that a 16-year-old youth found guilty of murder should be named but stayed the lifting of the order, pending the outcome of appeal against his conviction.
Their accomplices Michael Ugochukwu and Tahjgeem Breakenridge, both 18, were also convicted of murder and jailed for life. Kieron Donaldson, 18, was found guilty of unlawfully killing Keon after buying weapons used in the killing, and was sentenced to 12 years.