Jarraine “LJ” Gray, 17, got into a situation when he urgently needed to find a way to rescue his cousin. The fire started when most of the family members were out and only little Michari was sleeping inside the house. Kinston Fire Rescue said the fire started from over-cooked food on the stove.
The Black teen who was wearing basketball shorts and sneaker only got into the house through the back door and escaped through the front door holding his baby cousin.
“My daddy called the fire department, and I got the baby, ran in front got the baby, and by the time I got the baby the back, it was like fire, so I just ran through the front,” Gray told the journalists.