The BBC reports that the individuals, who are five men and one woman, were arrested Monday in the north-east and south-east of France by the French security services.
According to a judicial source, an investigation is underway on a “criminal terrorist criminal conspiracy. The details of the suspects and the alleged conspiracy have not yet been disclosed.
“This investigation is aimed at a project, imprecise and ill-defined at this stage, violent action against the president of the republic,” said prosecutors Tuesday.
The arrests took place in the eastern regions of the Moselle and Isère and in the northern region of Ile-et-Vilaine, officials said.
Last year, a 23-year-old man who described himself as a “nationalist” was arrested on 28 June in Argenteuil. He planned to attack the president during the July 14 parade. The young man had been spotted on the internet by the authorities, after seeking to obtain a firearm.