Andela is a network of technology leaders dedicated to advancing human potential. We help companies build high-performing distributed engineering teams by investing in Africa s most talented software developers. Based in NYC, SF, Lagos, Nairobi, Cairo and Kampala; Andela is catalyzing the growth of tech ecosystems across the African continent while solving the global technical talent shortage.
About the Senior Software Developer Position:
• As a Senior Software Developer, you will primarily work as a Lead Developer for one of Andela s clients. Andela Senior Developers are skilled at writing complex applications, have a deep understanding of application lifecycles, databases and services. They are passionate about guidance and mentorship to more junior developers.
IT – Software Services
Desired Candidate Profile
The specific responsibilities of the Senior Software Developer position include:
• Interfacing with your client to understand their business, goals and visions for products being supported by an Andela Team
• Performing high quality work that not only meets the need of the client but surpasses it
• If you are managing a team:
• Ensuring that our developers are able to understand the business context and value of their tasks, as well as how it impacts users
• Prioritizing the work that your team is responsible for to ensure that you re always working on the highest value work that helps your clients meet their objectives
• Working with our engineers to decompose high-level stories into smaller, specific tasks and provide high-level design support to help them understand how to solve specific coding challenges
• Provide technical guidance and oversight to ensure that the work delivered is in accordance with the technical standards of your client
• Encouraging a collaborative team environment and
• Regularly reporting the status of your team both to your client as well as senior members of Andela s Success Department
Qualifications & Characteristics
As the ideal candidate for this role you:
• Are active in the technology ecosystem in your city ex: you organize meetups, speak at conferences and are active on GitHub
• Are able to pass our Tech Skills Assessment
• Have a four-year degree in Engineering, Computer Science or a related field from an accredited university
• Have at least 4 years of experience working in software development
• Is proficient ideally in ANY TWO of the following stacks and/or experience in: Ruby/Ruby on Rails
• iOS/Objective C
• Have experience leading technical teams using Agile methodologies
• Have experience working remotely as an effective member of a team
• Have a vibrant personality and exceptional communication skills (English; verbal and written)
• A strong desire to mentor other developers
• Have the ability to build rapport and communicate with individuals from diverse cultural backgrounds.
• Have excellent interpersonal skills
• Have strong leadership skills
• Strongly motivated by our social mission of training 100,000 young Africans in the next 10 years.