We all love oranges in our homes. They are one of the most popular fruits you can find in Ghana. Every time I eat an orange, I always start by skinning it and throwing away the peels.
Apparently, I have been doing it wrong my whole life! Just beneath the skin peels lies an abundance of fruit acids and vitamin C. Orange peels can be used for the skin, face, eyes, pimple treatment, hair packs, cleaner and for holding wax as candles.
Orange peels can be used when fresh or when it is dried, but it is best to dry the orange peels in the sun and use them, as they last longer than fresh peels. Here are some ways to use orange peels:
Peels improve skin tone
Orange peels can remove skin blemishes and dark spots. Their vitamin C content maintains your skin’s suppleness, prevents dullness and adds a healthy glow. It even acts as a natural sunscreen by blocking harmful UV rays.
Here’s how to use orange peels for a good skin:
- Mix 2 teaspoons each of orange peel powder and plain yogurt along with 1 teaspoon of honey to make a paste.
- Apply the paste to your face and neck, and gently massage in a circular motion.
- Let it sit for about 20 minutes, then rinse it off with warm water.
- Use this face mask paste 2 to 3 times per week.
To prepare orange peel powder, slice the peels into smaller pieces
Dry the peels in the sun for about 3 days.
Grind them using handmade or blender .
You know that yellow tinge on your teeth, orange peels can remove it. They contain a compound called d-limonene, which helps reduce teeth staining (even from smoking!)
- Rub the inside of an orange peel (the white portion) over your teeth for 2 to 3 minutes, then rinse. Do this twice a day until you’ve got those pearly whites.
- Alternatively, you could mix some orange peel powder and some water to make a paste. Add dried leaves for bonus points. Use this paste on your toothbrush and brush your teeth. Repeat twice a day for a few weeks.
Aids weight loss
Vitamin C has been shown to help you lose weight. Orange peels have tons of the stuff. In order to aid your weight loss goals, replace coffee or soda with orange peel tea.
Here’s how to lose weight with orange peels:
- Dry the peels from some organic oranges in a cool, dry place.
- Put 1 tablespoon of dried peels in 1 cup of hot water.
- Cover and steep for 10 minutes.
- Remove the peels and add some raw honey.
- Drink 2 cups daily.
Orange peels can be use for the hair
The peels can be added to any homemade hair rinse while making it, it will give a nice citrus smell and will prevent itchy scalp.
Orange peel tea for digestion
Orange peel is known for it’s effectiveness in aiding digestion. To make the tea, boil a cup of water and add the dried orange peels and strain. You can sweeten with honey, if you desire.
Orange peels can be use to scare away cats
If you want to get rid of your neighbors cat from your house, spread some orange peels around the home. Cats hate the smell of the oranges and this is the best natural way to get rid of them.
Orange peels are good for birds
Orange peels make amazing bird feeders. Cut the fruit in half and after juicing it, remove the pith from inside and poke two holes in the opposite side of each of the peels. Insert a twine in the holes and hang the fruit in the balcony, now fill it with seeds and your bird feeder is ready!
So the next time you buy oranges, make sure not to throw the skin away!