The primary objective of the Internship Program at the African Development Bank Group (AfDB) is to deepen the Bank’s efforts to advance development within its regional member countries (RMC) through capacity building activities. APPLICATION DEADLINE IS 30TH OF SEPTEMBER 2015.
The Program aims at providing candidates with the opportunity to acquire and develop the ability to work in an international environment, provide the Bank a pool of potential candidates in the future and enhance the visibility of the Bank and its development activities.
To achieve its new strategic staffing that the Strategy for 2013-2022 envisages, the Human Resource Department (CHRM) needs to develop a new approach based on its overall vision and goals of decentralization.
The Program will therefore, mobilize additional intellectual resources for development by providing opportunities to nationals of Bank member countries who are students to gain professional and practical experience in focus areas of the Bank’s work. Applicants for the ADB’s internship program must be aware of the Ten-Year Strategy for 2013-2022.
In 2016, the Bank is planning to recruit 60 interns.
The following are the minimum requirements:
- Aged between eighteen (18) to thirty (30) years.
- Currently enrolled in a Bachelor’s/Master’s level degree program or its equivalent in a recognized public or private institution of higher learning.
- Apply for an internship within one year of having obtained such a degree.
- Provide a letter from the University / Professional institution school confirming the enrollment for the current Program.
- Citizen of a regional or non-regional member country of the African Development Bank.
- Applicants must be fluent in, at least, one of the Banks’s working languages (English or French).
- Female candidates are encouraged to apply.
In addition to the above selection criteria, preference will be given to candidates who demonstrate the following:
- Ability to leverage knowledge.
- Ability to share knowledge.
- Adaptability to multicultural settings.
- Good communication skills.
- Working knowledge of a third language that is relevant to the Bank’s operations.
- Special consideration shall be given to students who are working on projects that have a direct bearing on the mission of the Bank.
- Economy: Development Research; Statistics;
- Operations I: Procurement & Fiduciary Services, Fragile States situations;
- Operations II: Agriculture & Agro Industry; Human Development; Governance; Water & Sanitation, Natural Resource Management;
- Operations III: Energy, Environment & Climate Change; Transport & ICT; Private Sector; Regional Integration and Trade;
- Strategy & Operational Policies;
- Results & Quality Assurance;
- Finance; Budget; Treasury; Resource Mobilization; Risk Management
- General/Business Administration;
- Human Resources Management;
- IT Services; IT Engineers; Security; IT Security;
- Protocol Services ; Language Services;
- Communication & External Relations;
- Corporate Lawyers;
- Translation / Interpretation.
The Program is open to all those meeting the eligibility conditions and the final list is reviewed by a Standing Internship Review Committee which is in charge of selecting candidates. The Director of the Human Resources Department has the responsibility for the implementation of the Program and shall develop necessary modalities for its application.
The Program is annually in two sessions as follows:
- Winter – Session I: January through March.
- Summer – Session II: June through August.
Terms and conditions
- Internships shall be granted to each candidate for a period not less than three (3) months and not more than six (6) months. The internship will be authorized only once for any candidate.
- Interns shall be responsible for their air travel (where applicable) to and from the Bank’s location as well as their upkeep.
- Interns shall be responsible for their medical insurance coverage, and for obtaining entry and residence visas in the host country of the Bank.
- Eligible interns will be provided with a monthly stipend, depending on the budget availability.
- Interns may be authorized to participate in an official Bank’s mission.
- Internships shall be performed either at the Bank’s headquarters in Abidjan (Côte d’Ivoire) or in any one of the Bank’s field offices or Regional Centers.
How to Apply?
Please note that application for admission to the AfDB Internship Program is an online process. If you are a first-time user of our online registration system, you will need to register before you can log in. You are advised to provide as much relevant information as possible.
Applicants with dual nationality are advised that the Bank recognizes only one nationality from a member country; as such, kindly indicate the nationality you wish to declare.
If you have special capability for creative and strategic thinking and believe you fulfil the eligibility criteria, kindly submit your online application by 30th September 2015 by midnight (GMT).